A&H

Fulham v Chelsea - Felix Sending off

The Referee Store
I think for the first time ever I’ve seen mutual agreement about a refereeing decision on twitter!
Hmm Facebook wasn't so understanding... Lots of not as bad as he looks but letter of the law mumbo jumbo. Easy red card. This referee crowding should be considered a pandemic and dealt with appropriately. We need a lockdown and a vaccine for it because it's getting beyond ridiculous now.

Last edited:
Do you not feel if Coote shown the red card quicker than he did then he won't have the players crowded around him for as long as he did? Although he may of had one or two Chelsea players to deal with but imo, took a bit too long to produce the red.

Do you not feel if Coote shown the red card quicker than he did then he won't have the players crowded around him for as long as he did? Although he may of had one or two Chelsea players to deal with but imo, took a bit too long to produce the red.
There has been comments on various sites, that he should have done so. I don't think he needed to rush the red card.

The only use of a "snap red" is to stop a mass confrontation, which this was not. It was the Fulham players rushing towards him, so a "snap red" would not have helped.

Given Arsenal was charged for crowding the referee on Monday, in the Cup Tie, will Fulham be charged for this? Not too dissimilar.

Spot on Lincs - I'm far from a fan of Coote, but nothing he did made the Fulham players ignore their injured teammate and rush towards him. If they had their own discipline or a shred of empathy towards their injured teammate, it would have been much easier for everyone involved.

That was a joke that charge for Arsenal btw and I'm not an Arsenal fan. I hate the phase "failed to ensure their players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion" the players are not robots and it was not anywhere near Man United players against Andy D'urso for example. Totally get you need to respect the referee but I've seen worse this season and no punishments handed out.

There has been comments on various sites, that he should have done so. I don't think he needed to rush the red card.

The only use of a "snap red" is to stop a mass confrontation, which this was not. It was the Fulham players rushing towards him, so a "snap red" would not have helped.

Given Arsenal was charged for crowding the referee on Monday, in the Cup Tie, will Fulham be charged for this? Not too dissimilar.
Not to mention that he probably did want to do it quicker and he was pacing around trying to find some sort of route to Félix, and ended up showing the card from about 10 yards away

That was a joke that charge for Arsenal btw and I'm not an Arsenal fan. I hate the phase "failed to ensure their players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion" the players are not robots and it was not anywhere near Man United players against Andy D'urso for example. Totally get you need to respect the referee but I've seen worse this season and no punishments handed out.
No it wasn't, and it was two games in a row they have been charged. Any decision that goes against them and they swarm the referee, led by their manager ranting and raving on the side lines. Action needs to be taken, and it needs to be more than fines.

If the clip I have seen on social media was the reason they have been charged then what about all the other instances where players surrounded the ref. I be very surprised if Fulham gets charged for surrounding David Coote in this game because there is never consistency in this.

Action should start with the referee cautioning players for dissent, if it has to be more than one then so be it.
First test for Howard Webb.

If the clip I have seen on social media was the reason they have been charged then what about all the other instances where players surrounded the ref. I be very surprised if Fulham gets charged for surrounding David Coote in this game because there is never consistency in this.
It's the intensity of it. The Fulham players were following the referee around but they weren't screaming in his face like the Arsenal players were.

Are the referees required to report it? Or does the FA decide for when the threshold has been breached?

Are the referees required to report it? Or does the FA decide for when the threshold has been breached?
Pretty sure the FA just act on it. Would be somewhat difficult for the referee to report it when they have kept their cards away.

Pretty sure the FA just act on it. Would be somewhat difficult for the referee to report it when they have kept their cards away.
Fair enough.
TBF even if the referee dealt with it, by cards for example, a charge of failure to control could still be raised as it's a totally separate charge than that within the referees remit in law.

Following someone sounds like a pretty intimidating behaviour to me, don't you think?
It can be, but it is very different to screaming in the referee's face.

Take the Man City players today, they were angry with Man Utd's first goal and certainly surrounded Stuart Attwell, but they were a lot more controlled than the Arsenal players have been in recent games.

Back