A&H

Going with your instinct

Status
Not open for further replies.
DB glad you have common sense - and not sitting behind a rule book-

that last one is a tough one - would the player have bitten himself to get the opponent sent off??

for me this is very unlikely that someone would bit themselves

So you're advocating a red for that as well?

The Referee Store
no im saying what are the chances of someone biting themselves

but for me no action was correct as there is little evidence to suggest that the offence was committed

DB glad you have common sense - and not sitting behind a rule book-

Rubbish....Common sense doesn't come into this at all. This is why a report when sending off should include the wording "I was x yards from the incident and had a clear and unobstructed view". Rather than, "I had an obstructed view but am pretty sure that player A elbowed player B".

no im saying what are the chances of someone biting themselves

but for me no action was correct as there is little evidence to suggest that the offence was committed

Thats not the only explanation though is it?

Mark could have been caused by his dog/girlfriend/accidental contact with someone/something earlier in the match/accidental contact with defenders mouth in the "incident" - we just don't know unless seen.

That's the point surely, there ARE many "possibilities", so you can't think , he's not going to bite himself, its a red.

I have had situations where a player has come up to me and said "Red number 5 just made a racist remark to me". Do you send red number 5 off??

There's rules Yes, but also interpretation of these rules, we make an informed decision based on all the information we have -

weak referees would back away from that decision,

There's rules Yes, but also interpretation of these rules, we make an informed decision based on all the information we have -

**Laws** Now you really are talking rubbish. Weak referee's....seriously!!!!

Thats not the only explanation though is it?

Mark could have been caused by his dog/girlfriend/accidental contact with someone/something earlier in the match/accidental contact with defenders mouth in the "incident" - we just don't know unless seen.

That's the point surely, there ARE many "possibilities", so you can't think , he's not going to bite himself, its a red.

well yea I cant think that- as iv said id take no action as there is to many possible outcomes and risk of making a howler

sorry for my bad spelling and grammar but I am hard at work and trying to reply also

ps picking up on spelling mistakes is quite childish

sorry for my bad spelling and grammar but I am hard at work and trying to reply also

ps picking up on spelling mistakes is quite childish

Its not a spelling mistake we do not referee to rules we referee to laws that's all I was saying. Yes there are different interpretations of those laws but guessing at a decision you haven't seen isn't one of them im afraid.

There is no way on Chris Foy decided to RC a Chelsea player in an EPL match if noone saw what happened.
He'd have known full well he'd have been destroyed by Sky & MOTD had he guessed wrong.

Foy didn't guess as I recall.
His assistant who, stood and watched the whole thing happen advised him - which is what he's there for.
Job done. :)

Wowsers! Tread very carefully gents or we can put a fork in this one!

I'm calling it:
TROOOOOOOOOOOOLLL!!!

Conor, judging by the reaction on the pitch you appear to have fluked the correct decision.
Might not be so lucky next time.
I need to be 95% sure to RC someone. You seem 99% sure but I have no idea why you are so confident based on what you have described of what you saw

Last edited:
There was a PGMO study a couple of years where it said around 20% of decisions were unseen, that included penalties...

The same one that claimed assistants only get approx 1-in-150 offside decisions wrong so to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I haven't got out of this post what I have wanted.

Yes I didn't see the full incident
Yes I went on the feeling of my gut

the reason why I gave the RC was as I seen most of what happened before and after the incident,

I may have fluked or got lucky with the decision - as it turned out it was the correct one

not all unseen incidents deserve a RC.. all I meant was that on this occasion with having 99% of the information was I correct or not to rc the fella..

like most LAWS there is always grey areas and I don't think I will ever get a clear answer - it will always be an opinion

its baffling me how some of you guys are promoting v/c on the field of play - sort it out

Now I really have heard it all. What a ridiculous statement.

Rubbish....Common sense doesn't come into this at all. This is why a report when sending off should include the wording "I was x yards from the incident and had a clear and unobstructed view". Rather than, "I had an obstructed view but am pretty sure that player A elbowed player B".

Absolutely spot on. You cannot dismiss for something you haven't seen, regardless of whether you think it happened or not.

Weak? I would argue that it takes a strong referee to admit that they didn't see an incident. We simply cannot start guessing as referees; in a criminal court of law for example, juries are instructed that they have to be "sure". Sorry to get caught up in semantics, but if you are only 99% and think that something might have happened, you are not "sure".

In my opinion, you have made a mistake and instead of trying to justify it, you need to use it as a learning experience and move on.

Very little makes me angry, but this has, so I'll say no more.

Please put a fork in this one.

Neither @Conor Murphy nor @DB are going to realise how stupid they sound trying to justify guessing at decisions.....so let's just leave them wallowing in their stupidity before this descends into farce...although it probably already has!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back