A&H

How long does it take to move up levels?

The Referee Store
Oh right gotcha. Not long to go til the end of September. How many are you on now?

Last edited:
Would hate to miss out on promotion due to a lack of observations when I have done all that I can to meet all criteria.

That should never happen, even if it means an observer being dumped on you at short notice. There is no excuse for having insufficient assessments.

That should never happen, even if it means an observer being dumped on you at short notice. There is no excuse for having insufficient assessments.
Yes, indeed you're right. There needs to be a structure whereby everyone clearly knows where they stand.

Mine is pretty much the same as Ref Jef except we do not have to do a fitness test, although having to do it to see where you have to be is a great idea. So many refs go for promotion but fail the fitness test from 5-4. If i ever progressed that far I would start training when I was going for 5 to have it there already. That is a controllable part of promotion so I dont get why refs fail it. I understand injuriesbut the test isnt a surprise

50 games a season isn't difficult. Not a weekend goes by where I don't get asked to do games on Sundays which don't have refs. I've got 2 AR matches tomorrow and 2 middles on Sunday. I won't do this every week as there's more to life than refereeing, but its nice to get the number of games required for promotion out of the way earl6 in case of injury or other issues later on in the season.

The criteria says 3. However, most level 6 refs I've spoken too didn't have an observation due to a lack of observers

Most I've ever done was 88 back in 2007/8, 57 middles, 28 lines and 3 4th official. Not surprisingly that was also my "busiest" season with 108 cautions and 18 reds.

60 plus games, probably 80 yellows and 20 reds in my busiest season... I’d of Probably gone for promotion but it may have impacted on a ref that really needed it!

Last edited:
S
Mine is pretty much the same as Ref Jef except we do not have to do a fitness test, although having to do it to see where you have to be is a great idea. So many refs go for promotion but fail the fitness test from 5-4. If i ever progressed that far I would start training when I was going for 5 to have it there already. That is a controllable part of promotion so I dont get why refs fail it. I understand injuriesbut the test isnt a surprise
So what exactly does the fitness test consist of to become a level 4 referee?

12 minutes to do 2600m or 26 laps of the centre circle, at the referee's discretion
If this forum has taught me anything, it's pedantry. Therefore, I feel it is my duty to point out that it's more like 10 laps of the centre circle.

Trust me, I'm the centre circle expert (according to a lot of managers)

The criteria says 3. However, most level 6 refs I've spoken too didn't have an observation due to a lack of observers

As I said there is no excuse for not getting promoted due to a lack of assessments. Counties can change the requirement if there aren't enough assessors to go round but surely there needs to be at least two before someone gets promoted. One could be a fluke game, good or bad, but good results across two games shows some consistency.

As I said there is no excuse for not getting promoted due to a lack of assessments. Counties can change the requirement if there aren't enough assessors to go round but surely there needs to be at least two before someone gets promoted. One could be a fluke game, good or bad, but good results across two games shows some consistency.
Does it require someone to be demoted in order for someone to be promoted?

Not at 7-6 and 6 - 5 as there is no maximum number of levels 5s. Beyond that then there are a set number of vacancies at each level, so they need to be free up not just demotions but also promotions and when senior referees retire.

Not at that level. Up at level 4 and above, the FA will edcide that they need a certain number of referees at each level each year, and will promote and demote to match that.

Not at that level. Up at level 4 and above, the FA will edcide that they need a certain number of referees at each level each year, and will promote and demote to match that.
And is there a certain number of people in each county FA for promotion from 5 to 4?

Back