A&H

How long does it take to move up levels?

And is there a certain number of people in each county FA for promotion from 5 to 4?
As level 4 and above is administered by the FA (as opposed to county FA's), I don't think things are done quite so strictly on county lines - rather that it's done by general area. But I'm not sure here!

The Referee Store
As level 4 and above is administered by the FA (as opposed to county FA's), I don't think things are done quite so strictly on county lines - rather that it's done by general area. But I'm not sure here!

Level 5 referees, or those at 6 going for 5, can ask to be considered for nomination to level 4. Their CFA will then observe them and if they average 70 on observations over 5 games, and meet other requirements such as fitness test pass and laws of the game test pass, they will nominate them to the FA. If they only get 3 or 4 observations then they have to average 70 AND be in the top 50% of the merit table of their leagues. The CFA will nominate candidates in order of preference.

Nomination doesn't guarantee acceptance though. The FA only need a certain number of L4s in each region, and they won't promote more than they need as that will leave referees without enough games to be appointed to. You could say that is fine as they could referee on local leagues when not used by the FA or supply league, but in reality that doesn't work. If someone is sick or injured on a Saturday morning then an unused referee could get a call to go and do that game, and an answer of "sorry boss, I've got a game in the Dog and Duck league" wouldn't wash. I've been called in the past at 12.30pm on a day that I didn't have a game to go and cover a 3pm kick off for a contrib game. So for those reasons they won't promote more than they need, and how many they need depends on how many have been promoted, demoted or chosen to retire / step back down to L5 in each region.

Do you mean to say that you’ve never applied for promotion until now after 3 years?

If you ask me, and you haven't, I would apply for promotion as soon as you are eligible to. Don't bother waiting, I think it is a wasted season. Apply asap and you get your observations. It doesn't matter if you fail, you'll be getting official advice sooner and so you can start improving sooner and not getting into bad habits that can crop up if you go unobserved.

Just my opinion though. You lose nothing from applying tbh.

Baffled why a ref needs a fitness test at L7 when 90% of the players couldn't pass it either....

That doesn't bother me really, but what does get me is if you get promoted, you don't need to do the fitness test to maintain the grade. So, say you don't apply for next season's promotion, or if you do apply but fail the fitness test, you don't get knocked down a grade until you pass it. Which just seems odd to me? :confused:

That doesn't bother me really, but what does get me is if you get promoted, you don't need to do the fitness test to maintain the grade. So, say you don't apply for next season's promotion, or if you do apply but fail the fitness test, you don't get knocked down a grade until you pass it. Which just seems odd to me? :confused:

There are no fitness test requirements at all at levels 7-5. Some counties do hold tests, but ultimately if there was a fitness test for those levels even more games than at present would go uncovered. And a centre circle ref is better than no ref.

At L4 and above you have to pass the fitness test every season, and at the higher levels it can be twice a season.

There are no fitness test requirements at all at levels 7-5. Some counties do hold tests, but ultimately if there was a fitness test for those levels even more games than at present would go uncovered. And a centre circle ref is better than no ref.

At L4 and above you have to pass the fitness test every season, and at the higher levels it can be twice a season.

Yeah, speaking for Wales here. :)

Don't bother waiting, I think it is a wasted season. Apply asap and you get your observations. It doesn't matter if you fail
Not sure I agree with this. Most refs seem to want to charge through the system with haste. Many will end up appointed to games they're not ready for

Not sure I agree with this. Most refs seem to want to charge through the system with haste. Many will end up appointed to games they're not ready for

If they're ready they get promoted, if they're not, they aren't but they still have the advice and assessments on board to start improving now. External advice and assessments are imo, going to be a lot better than self-reflection. There's hardly any debate to be had here imo.

If they're ready they get promoted, if they're not, they aren't but they still have the advice and assessments on board to start improving now. External advice and assessments are imo, going to be a lot better than self-reflection. There's hardly any debate to be had here imo.
There is; and I've debated it

I’m with @Big Cat (and, I think, @Tino Best ) on this - we’ve all done about three seasons before embarking on the promotion programme.

Glad I waited, a much better referee at the start of my promotion year, and so better able to act on advice, direction and reflection.

Plus, after three years, the promotion programme has injected a new lease of life into my “refereeing life”

I’m with @Big Cat (and, I think, @Tino Best ) on this - we’ve all done about three seasons before embarking on the promotion programme.

Glad I waited, a much better referee at the start of my promotion year, and so better able to act on advice, direction and reflection.

Plus, after three years, the promotion programme has injected a new lease of life into my “refereeing life”

I am in my 3rd season, my first on the promotion program. I've had 0 observations yet and I think the sooner I could've had them the better. I think there are many benefits to having 2 or 3 season at level 7 before promotion, but even more in getting external advice and more oppurtunity to work with experienced refs.

12 minutes to do 2600m or 26 laps of the centre circle, at the referee's discretion

If this forum has taught me anything, it's pedantry. Therefore, I feel it is my duty to point out that it's more like 10 laps of the centre circle.

If this forum has taught me anything it's that if you're going to be pedantic you'd better be accurate. It's about 45 laps of the centre circle.

Or, if you prefer, one per minute.

If this forum has taught me anything it's that if you're going to be pedantic you'd better be accurate. It's about 45 laps of the centre circle.

Made me laugh. Now I'm waiting for someone to correct your numbers...

Last edited:
2nd season -
On a 7-5 jump.

I need 20 games with 3 observations March '19 - End of September '19 for 7-6.
and a further 20 games before April '20 with 5 lines and 3 more observations to complete 6-5.
Double jump over.

Had to pull out of all games this week and for the next few due to a health issue, spent the weekend lying in a hospital bed. Gutted.

Double jump over.

Had to pull out of all games this week and for the next few due to a health issue, spent the weekend lying in a hospital bed. Gutted.
Head up @MattTheRef. Sorry to hear you’ve had a problem and hope you’re back on your feet soon enough. Don’t rush your return, get yourself set and reset your targets. The double jump may be off the cards now but a step up to 6 is still possible

Had one observation It went well but after 3 weeks still not published so can;t reference it. Had an unofficial observation from a ref who happened to be supporting his local team. Got some good tips on better positioning and told when there is a big stoppage ie long injury do not put my hands on my hips. Debate that one guys( this ref is going from 5-4 so I do understand their is a big difference in the whole process) When he told me this guess what I was doing?

Fairly new (3rd season), not going for promotion, so no observations yet.

But I’m very self-conscious that I put my hands on my hips during stoppages. Catch myself doing it all the time. I’m sure if I was observed there’d be far more things to discuss than where I put my hands.

Had one observation It went well but after 3 weeks still not published so can;t reference it. Had an unofficial observation from a ref who happened to be supporting his local team. Got some good tips on better positioning and told when there is a big stoppage ie long injury do not put my hands on my hips. Debate that one guys( this ref is going from 5-4 so I do understand their is a big difference in the whole process) When he told me this guess what I was doing?

He probably has a point, that isn't great body language. What you'll come to realise though is getting what seems like very minor or even trivial advice is a good thing, as it means you got the important things spot on. Most observers will always try to give some development advice even when the referee has had a faultless game. Generally speaking, if the debrief only has small pieces of development advice you are onter a winner.

That’s revolutionary pedantry @Trip 👍 get that man a beer 🍺

Back