A&H

How long does it take to move up levels?

Do you mean to say that you’ve never applied for promotion until now after 3 years?
Yes, that is what he's saying. And in reality the vast majority of referees never apply for promotion but provide a very important (and sometimes enjoyable!) service to the game at L7.

As for different counties being different, that's pretty common in many things to do with refereeing. With regard to promotion, some allow U18 games to count towards your 20, some don't. Some allow 7 to 5 in one season, some don't. And some put marks on 7 to 6 observations in addition to Above/Below Expected.

Your best bet is to get in touch (and stay in touch) with the RDO (Referee Development Officer) for your county and get the 'local' facts. Basic gist is that if you're keen, available and a half decent ref then getting from 7 to 6 shouldn't be too tricky

The Referee Store
Do you mean to say that you’ve never applied for promotion until now after 3 years?

I am just starting my 3rd season and this is my first season that I've gone for promotion. I'd done roughly 100 middles and 5 lines before applying for promotion. I'm 35 so there's no rush for me, I'd like to get to level 5 I think. I'm not ruling out further promotions, just like I'm not ruling out not going for further promotions. I'll take it one season at a time and see how I'm enjoying it etc. What I'm beginning to find this season is that I'm being assigned games on the Tuesday/Wednesday before the weekend, on top of my already assigned games. I'm assuming this is due to ref shortages and me helping out whenever I can. It is leaving me with very little time to do anything else with my weekend. So my learn from the first promotion season is that I need to communicate with the ref secs etc more about when I can help out and when I can't. I would recommend going for promotion as early as possible based on my experiences, because you get to watch experienced refs and ARs which I've found more help than my 100 games on my own. I suppose it's different for everyone

I am just starting my 3rd season and this is my first season that I've gone for promotion. I'd done roughly 100 middles and 5 lines before applying for promotion. I'm 35 so there's no rush for me, I'd like to get to level 5 I think. I'm not ruling out further promotions, just like I'm not ruling out not going for further promotions. I'll take it one season at a time and see how I'm enjoying it etc. What I'm beginning to find this season is that I'm being assigned games on the Tuesday/Wednesday before the weekend, on top of my already assigned games. I'm assuming this is due to ref shortages and me helping out whenever I can. It is leaving me with very little time to do anything else with my weekend. So my learn from the first promotion season is that I need to communicate with the ref secs etc more about when I can help out and when I can't. I would recommend going for promotion as early as possible based on my experiences, because you get to watch experienced refs and ARs which I've found more help than my 100 games on my own. I suppose it's different for everyone
How did you manage 100 games in 2 seasons? Thats 50 games a season. Were you refereeing in two different leagues?

How did you manage 100 games in 2 seasons? Thats 50 games a season. Were you refereeing in two different leagues?
I had one 12 month period where I was 'between' full time jobs. Officiated 102 games across the full season. There are plenty of games available Saturdays, Sundays, midweek evenings and even midweek daytimes if you are available!

50 games in a season is easy - you can do 4 games a weekend plus midweeks if you want to tire yourself out.

My first season I went 7-6, following year 6-4 and then stayed there for several years until I dropped back down. I was too old & unfit to go higher really (they had an age limit back then).

They changed a few seasons ago, and the pass mark of 70 is long gone unless you are 5-4. Generally speaking you need to average standard expected across your observations.
So, I had my promotion seminar and test last night
I've posted the Level 7 Competencies as a Resource
Hertfordshire previously equated 'Standard Expected' with the Level at which the candidate is at, not the Level to which they're attempting to attain. To be consistent with other Counties, 'Standard Expected' now equates with the next Level up
For 7 to 5, Herts have done away with 'well above' and 'well below standard'. We do get scores, with 70 and above equating to 3x Standard Expected and a pass. We don't see how the scores are arrived at specifically

So, I had my promotion seminar and test last night
I've posted the Level 7 Competencies as a Resource
Hertfordshire previously equated 'Standard Expected' with the Level at which the candidate is at, not the Level to which they're attempting to attain. To be consistent with other Counties, 'Standard Expected' now equates with the next Level up
For 7 to 5, Herts have done away with 'well above' and 'well below standard'. We do get scores, with 70 and above equating to 3x Standard Expected and a pass. We don't see how the scores are arrived at specifically
Oh woww that's great. What did the promotion seminar entail and how did your test go?

Im with Big Cat on this. 3 years of games, this season I have had an observation and an unofficial observation when a ref who happens to be watching gave me some great advice at half time which I managed to implement in the second half.make sure you are ready to go for it. It is a great way to become a better ref as you get feedback.

In Suffolk only U18s games count. The test is easy if you put the work in. I have done my 20 games and just waiting for my next 2 observations.

Here in Somerset, what you need to do to from L7 to L6:

Enroll on promotion program. (This is the last year that runs March to Feb* From next year the promotion season will be aligned with the football season, I.e. August to May. *Just to confuse matters more, this current season is running from March 18 to May 20, to bring it in line with the new season.)

Referee 20 qualifying games, of which no more than 6 can be at U18 level. I,e 14 or more games must be OA (although veterans do count as “OA” in this context). No games below U18 count.

Have three of those games observed/assessed

Pass LOTG test - min score to pass, 12 out of 15

Pass a fitness test (RDO has introduced this so promotion candidates become aware of the fitness test from the outset of the promotion scheme, and it’s not a shock when introduced when going from 5 to 4. The fitness test was not onerous- run 2000m on a track in less than 12 mins, plus a couple of sprints)

Mentor a new referee.

Like a few others on here, I’m now in my 4th season and am on the promotion programme 7 to 6. Those three years of exerperience has stood me in good stead - I’ve passed the LOTG test & fitness test, well on the way to 20 games, 1 Observation so far (above standard expected), waiting to be assigned a mentee, and two more observations to go. Not counting my chickens, but on track ....

Im with Big Cat on this. 3 years of games, this season I have had an observation and an unofficial observation when a ref who happens to be watching gave me some great advice at half time which I managed to implement in the second half.make sure you are ready to go for it. It is a great way to become a better ref as you get feedback.
So when do you get an observation? Do you need to have done a certain number of games? Also do you choose or do they randomly choose a game for observation?

So when do you get an observation? Do you need to have done a certain number of games? Also do you choose or do they randomly choose a game for observation?

Ideally, your observations are spread out over the season.

You submit your games to the “observer co-ordinator” who then assigns an observer to your game. I got about three or four days notice of my observation.

It is the one part of the programme that makes me twitchy - not because I don’t want to be observed, I do, that’s why I’m going for promotion- but it’s the part I can’t control. Here in Somerset (and I suspect most places) observers only observe on a Saturday- because of work, I can’t do too many Saturday games. Am doing a Saturday game tomorrow, County Cup game, notified coordinator several weeks ago, but not being observed. Would hate to miss out on promotion due to a lack of observations when I have done all that I can to meet all criteria.

2nd season -
On a 7-5 jump.

I need 20 games with 3 observations March '19 - End of September '19 for 7-6.
and a further 20 games before April '20 with 5 lines and 3 more observations to complete 6-5.

2nd season -
On a 7-5 jump.

I need 20 games with 3 observations March '19 - End of September '19 for 7-6.
and a further 20 games before April '20 with 5 lines and 3 more observations to complete 6-5.
How are you going to manage 20 games from March 19 to End September 19 when the season starts in September?

Back