A&H

IFAB Meeting

R

Runner-Ref

'Player behaviour towards referees tops agenda at Tuesday's IFAB meeting'

I'm sure they'll tuck themselves up in a fancy hotel somewhere and come up with more ways to confuse us

Last edited by a moderator:
The Referee Store
Or in reality find ways to attempt make everyone believe they are doing a lot about player behaviour while in reality they are doing nought all.

The article I read about AT sending off Lewis Dunk for OFFINABUS mid game, said last time we had a mid game OFFINABUS send offbin a PL game was 2008. Sets the bar for grassroot.

Or in reality find ways to attempt make everyone believe they are doing a lot about player behaviour while in reality they are doing nought all.

The article I read about AT sending off Lewis Dunk for OFFINABUS mid game, said last time we had a mid game OFFINABUS send offbin a PL game was 2008. Sets the bar for grassroot.
Yeah, during a match you are right. Interesting to see.

I think from the clip I've watched and the media people trying to figure out what he said. He called him a 🔔-end.

A very powerful statement from Anthony Taylor.

I respect it though.

Funny it comes from the team with De Zerbi at the helm.

“with the IFAB understood to be keen to run some initial tests in the amateur game to work out the practicalities and iron out the unintended consequences of any new
restrictions.”

Brilliant. Laws designed for top division elite football being tested on Dave and Steve in the park on a Sunday morning.

The article I read said the last time someone was sent off for dissent in a PL game was 2008.

I'm quite sure that wasn't the case, but it just goes to show the lack of understanding!

The article I read said the last time someone was sent off for dissent in a PL game was 2008.

I'm quite sure that wasn't the case, but it just goes to show the lack of understanding!
I'd be quite worried if a player was sent off for dissent ;) Not counting 2YC before anyone throws that in!

But yes, definitely first OFFINABUS since 2008 seems to have been widely accepted as true.

I'd be quite worried if a player was sent off for dissent ;) Not counting 2YC before anyone throws that in!

But yes, definitely first OFFINABUS since 2008 seems to have been widely accepted as true.
Yeah, that's what I was getting at! I quite regularly see 'a straight red card for dissent' quoted by the press.

like it...esp the bit about sin bins for cynical fouls. long overdue
I think the idea of SinBins is brill, but there is absolutely no way I can see it working at "higher levels" with its current implementation. It needs to have its own card colour (blue - Wales have done it...), as well as needing to function like a normal caution in terms of 2YC offences

Last edited:
'Accidental' handling offences won't be DOGSO reds...
Despite the fact that law saying that handling has to be deliberate to be an offence. They need to think the wording of this through very, very carefully or it will be carnage.

Despite the fact that law saying that handling has to be deliberate to be an offence. They need to think the wording of this through very, very carefully or it will be carnage.
I'm very worried. It sounds like a DOGSO HB will be a yellow card if a penalty is awarded... Massive spike on handling on the line if so. Will be interesting and how worded and what avenues there are to get to a red card instead.

But it doesn’t anymore. Deliberate handling is now only one way to be a HB. being unnaturally bigger isn’t deliberate. What fun we’re going to have as we have an on field review for the R to decide if handling was deliberate or was only the player being unnaturally bigger.

But it doesn’t anymore. Deliberate handling is now only one way to be a HB. being unnaturally bigger isn’t deliberate. What fun we’re going to have as we have an on field review for the R to decide if handling was deliberate or was only the player being unnaturally bigger.
More concerning is the fun we’re all going to have trying to assess all of this in real time.

Already a distinction there for offside reset remember. Deliberate handling resets offside, accidental doesn't.

Think most of us thought that distinction was down to pure drafting and not the intent of the law but obviously it was.

Back onto law changes to improve player behaviour. I'd like to know if there is anything that is broken in law before we try to fix it. The tools are already there for referees to use. Top level referees don't use them because of the expectation by football bodies. What's broken is is the football expectation of "in public I tell you to do something but in secret I want you to do something else".
Bring sin bin in and a major game is decided when a player is binned, then you get 15 years before a sin bin is used in EPL.
Cure the illness rather than masking the symptoms.

Last edited:
Back