A&H

Just dropped my biggest clanger to date!

• Thread starter Deleted member 3014
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well interestingly it’s only got worse since I’ve done youth games, I mean I’ve always had an issue with players appeals but last night was bad.

The min I tell them to calm down the appeals, I get ref I can appeal it’s part of the game ref you can’t stop me from being vocal on the pitch etc etc

I pulled the captain to one side last night & explained to him that if his team appeal every second of the game then It’s going to affect my decision making on big calls, if they keep on the next big one that comes along I’m just gonna assume your at it again & it may sway my decision, he got it & it did calm down I also grew into the second half.

So my question is are we supposed to just ignore every appeal or can we deal with it to make our lives easier?

It’s not dissent I guess but it’s bloody annoying.

The Referee Store
Incessant appealing isn’t against the LOTG and shouldn’t affect your next decision as to whether it goes there way or not. You can certainly have a word about the dissent following your call but to my knowledge appealing isn’t a crime!

Ignore them for sure but don’t not give a team a decision out of spite!

Firstly surprised this thread is still alive if I am honest.

Secondly, whilst all a bit far fetched, I think we have to take the OP seriously. If his posts are to be believed then we should at least give him some courtesy and support him through what appears to be a difficult start to his refereeing career and offer some genuine advice. At worst, another ref will read r advice and learn something from it. And if you dont believe him, remember, you aren't obliged to reply to his posts.

@Men in Black my advice to you here is always stick with your initial instinct. Never give in to player pressure. In one of my early games I gave offside whwn the ball was played backwards. I kid you not I ended up apologising to the player. I then learnt that that was a load of crap and e decision I gave was right. Every game is a learning curve. Give what you feel is right at the time, and then check it later. If you were wrong learn. When you're right, enjoy it.

1 thing to bear in mind is if an offence involves contact its dfk. If not idfk.

Theres only a few indirect offences and these are mostly technical offences, offside, piadm, pass back etc.

For the love of God, please dont google it mid game again.

No I won’t I just felt it the right thing to do, I didn’t wana be that ref that had to much pride to admit a mistake in the end I became that ref that googled hand ball & ive got to ref these guys again next season, in fairness I got hand shakes all round from nearly every player after that game last night work that out.

Isn’t obstruction idfk

Incessant appealing isn’t against the LOTG and shouldn’t affect your next decision as to whether it goes there way or not. You can certainly have a word about the dissent following your call but to my knowledge appealing isn’t a crime!

Ignore them for sure but don’t not give a team a decision out of spite!

So appealing is something we have to live with I guess, I personally find it very annoying.

They are numbskulls I swear to god, appealing for the most ridiculous things it’s embarsing from fully grown adults.

Way to get yourself suspended, using technology to determine the outcome of a game. Had I been crazy enough to do such a thing I certainly wouldn't be admitting to it on a forum ….

No I won’t I just felt it the right thing to do, I didn’t wana be that ref that had to much pride to admit a mistake in the end I became that ref that googled hand ball & ive got to ref these guys again next season, in fairness I got hand shakes all round from nearly every player after that game last night work that out.

Isn’t obstruction idfk
Theres no such thing as obstruction.... think that one is made up on the school playground.

Way to get yourself suspended, using technology to determine the outcome of a game. Had I been crazy enough to do such a thing I certainly wouldn't be admitting to it on a forum ….

I don’t follow sorry, I didn’t put the two teams names in and press predict score, I googled if handball was direct or a indirect free kick to correctly award a goal that had just been scored.

Theres no such thing as obstruction.... think that one is made up on the school playground.

Yes it rings a bell I think it was discussed on here recently, so obstruction isn’t in the lotg?

I think blocking came up on the course, anyway I’ll be reading that book all summer I’m gonna keep a copy everywhere I go.

Not specifically.

If a player "obstructs" you need to decide whether he is legally shielding the ball, he is legally shielding and has been fouled or he is playing in a dangerous manner.

Like i say i am sure that "rule" started in the playground at school.

Isn’t obstruction idfk
The historians on here might be able to tell us if 'obstruction' featured in a previous iteration of the book
Extract from the bottom of page 99
Impeding the progress of an opponent without contact
Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the opponent’s path to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction when the ball is not within playing distance of either player. All players have a right to their position on the field of play; being in the way of an opponent is not the same as moving into the way of an opponent.
A player may shield the ball by taking a position between an opponent and the ball if the ball is within playing distance and the opponent is not held off with the arms or body. If the ball is within playing distance, the player may be fairly charged by an opponent.

The historians on here might be able to tell us if 'obstruction' featured in a previous iteration of the book
Extract from the bottom of page 99
Impeding the progress of an opponent without contact
Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the opponent’s path to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction when the ball is not within playing distance of either player. All players have a right to their position on the field of play; being in the way of an opponent is not the same as moving into the way of an opponent.
A player may shield the ball by taking a position between an opponent and the ball if the ball is within playing distance and the opponent is not held off with the arms or body. If the ball is within playing distance, the player may be fairly charged by an opponent.
Ah yeh I missed that one. I was trying to imagine scenarios in my head of obstruction type offences... this one is always fun to give as they never ever understand what they have done..

So appealing is something we have to live with I guess, I personally find it very annoying.

They are numbskulls I swear to god, appealing for the most ridiculous things it’s embarsing from fully grown adults.
A lot of footballers and coaches are glorified cheats... get used to it! :rolleyes:

Ah yeh I missed that one. I was trying to imagine scenarios in my head of obstruction type offences... this one is always fun to give as they never ever understand what they have done..

I had it last night a player jumping 2ft to the left to get in the way of an opponent,

It’s just not right though and wish we could ping them for making pathetic needless cheating appeals.
It’s also not right to give favour for no unbiased reason. Yes it can be a pain, learn to switch off, ignore, that can even lead to them talking their way into the book for dissent!

Had same kind of incident few years back in maybe U8 game. I was "game instructor" (In Finland we only have actual referees from U12 upwards), maybe my second game ever, goalie handles the ball outside the area and I blew for a freekick. When kicker was starting to take the freekick someone from the crowd shouted that: "It's indirect", so as an extremely inexperienced "game instructor" I went and told the player that it is indirect. Eventually I checked (probably ended up googling it, of the pitch of course;)) and found out that it obviously isn't, but at least I learned and will never make the same mistake again. So as @JamesL said, every game is a learning course.

It must look awful when the ref dont know the basics?
How can you sell offside and so on if you dont know handball is direct
Thats like no being sure what way to go round a roundabout..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back