A&H

Junior/Youth last minute 13-0 dogso

Absolutely.
Then I would advise that you work on managing these situations using your voice and your personality. Be proactive. If you start penalising these offences so officiously at step 7 and above then you will have difficulties and it will be a barrier in your progression.

The Referee Store
Then I would advise that you work on managing these situations using your voice and your personality. Be proactive. If you start penalising these offences so officiously at step 7 and above then you will have difficulties and it will be a barrier in your progression.
Note taken. In all honesty, I find it quite difficult to explain to 14 year olds that they can’t keep the ball for that long because they do it anyway. That is something people have picked up on and I’m already trying to work on it.

Note taken. In all honesty, I find it quite difficult to explain to 14 year olds that they can’t keep the ball for that long because they do it anyway. That is something people have picked up on and I’m already trying to work on it.
When was the last time you saw the goalkeeper penalised for this offence in professional or non league football? I genuinely can't remember. I refereed my 400th game this week & I've never penalised a goalkeeper for this. But I'm proactive in managing the situation. Yes we are slaves to the law book, but that doesn't mean we can't manage a situation when the need arises.

It's not right that goalkeepers get away with it but it's where football is at. You can go rogue if you like and be the one referee who does penalise it but it will make your games a damn sight harder than they need to be and observers will only tell you what I am now so perhaps work on managing these situations with your voice and hands.

Same with the DOGSO at 13-0. That's a very easy situation to manage if you allow yourself to do so. My suggestion is that you do not manage SFP, VC or jewellery (blood on shirts etc), they're set in stone. But technical offenses like DOGSO, 6 second law, dissent (do you sin bin for every bit of dissent that comes your way or do you manage using the Step process etc?). After all, the step process is simply managing a situation. The law for dissent by word or action required a sin bin at steps 5 and below.....

Do you apply law to every situation?

For KMI I think you have to.

However, there are some things that you can have some wiggle room with. But if you want to climb the promotion ladder you have to dot the ‘i’s and cross the ‘t’s.

When was the last time you saw the goalkeeper penalised for this offence in professional or non league football? I genuinely can't remember. I refereed my 400th game this week & I've never penalised a goalkeeper for this. But I'm proactive in managing the situation. Yes we are slaves to the law book, but that doesn't mean we can't manage a situation when the need arises.

It's not right that goalkeepers get away with it but it's where football is at. You can go rogue if you like and be the one referee who does penalise it but it will make your games a damn sight harder than they need to be and observers will only tell you what I am now so perhaps work on managing these situations with your voice and hands.

Same with the DOGSO at 13-0. That's a very easy situation to manage if you allow yourself to do so. My suggestion is that you do not manage SFP, VC or jewellery (blood on shirts etc), they're set in stone. But technical offenses like DOGSO, 6 second law, dissent (do you sin bin for every bit of dissent that comes your way or do you manage using the Step process etc?). After all, the step process is simply managing a situation. The law for dissent by word or action required a sin bin at steps 5 and below.....
I don’t penalise it every time it gets to 6.1, it’s more like the ones where it’s getting towards 20 seconds and every one begins to get agitated about it. I do it there to manage the game. I do agree though that I don’t think I have ever seen this penalised in the professional game. Proactivity it is from now.

For KMI I think you have to.

However, there are some things that you can have some wiggle room with. But if you want to climb the promotion ladder you have to dot the ‘i’s and cross the ‘t’s.
It's not just about climbing a ladder, it's evidencing your ability to manage situations and people.

At 13-0, a DOGSO offence is not a KMI.

Ultimately the negatives far outweigh the positives. Spirit of the game on this one.

I don’t penalise it every time it gets to 6.1, it’s more like the ones where it’s getting towards 20 seconds and every one begins to get agitated about it. I do it there to manage the game. I do agree though that I don’t think I have ever seen this penalised in the professional game. Proactivity it is from now.
As you progress to adult football and climb that ladder, you will find agitations on these situations during most games. That's where you need to be proactive. Tell the keeper to get it going, tell the captain that his keeper is close to being penalised. At goal kicks stay close to the penalty area as the keeper collects the ball and let him/her know that you're not expecting him to rush but you're not going to allow him/her to delay. Tell them that it will cost them time and it is all going to be added on. Point at your watch and loudly say its being added on for all to see and hear. Whatever technique you find works for you (probably a mixture) and then of course you have the yellow card for DRS if it's from a dead ball situation likens GK or FK.

But do not go rogue!

As for the 10 DOGSO reds in a season at kids football, that's just wild.

Remember when Villa stayed up because of a faulty GLT? Goal difference matters and for that reason I’m inclined to disagree. I do, however, believe spirit of the game contradicts my own point and outweighs it also, especially at this age group.

Remember when Villa stayed up because of a faulty GLT? Goal difference matters and for that reason I’m inclined to disagree. I do, however, believe spirit of the game contradicts my own point and outweighs it also, especially at this age group.
Let's not compare 13-0 in the local kids league with a technology failure in the PL.

Good luck as you progress Gabriel. You're enthusiasm is a credit to you.

For what it'd worth Gabriel, you become less of a slave to the book as you get more experience. I sympathise with your approach, coming off the course, gaining experience and being enthusiastic about progression, so you do teams for offences they commit. That's fair. As you get older (and inevitably take a fair few verbal battering's in Open Age), you'll realise cautioning a keeper for PI on 6s holding offences is the quickest way to be called a "busy *******".

Manager it by shouting at the keeper, speaking to them in stoppages etc., unless they're really taking the mick, you will never see a 6s holding offence given and an IDFK awarded.

Same for a range of things. You clearly understand law, and clearly understand spirit of law - knowing when to apply which is a skill I'm still learning, but took me 50+ Open Age games to really feel like i was starting to understand. You'll be there soon enough. Good luck!

It's not just about climbing a ladder, it's evidencing your ability to manage situations and people.

Ultimately the negatives far outweigh the positives. Spirit of the game on this one.
If observed any RC or PK is considered a KMI. But it’s also something that we are expected to get right as referees.

(However - if there is any doubt at all - you do have discretion - e.g. that really really fast defender that would have made it *cough*)

However - if there is any doubt at all - you do have discretion - e.g. that really really fast defender that would have made it *cough*)
Exactly what I believe everyone wants to try and find at 13-0 in kids football in the last 2 mins!

Thank you all for the responses.

I really struggle with not being honest. I know it can give you an easy way out but i see a referee as a person who should not deliberately "make something up" to circumvent an obvoius DOGSO red card.

I'm grateful the losing team didn't commit the offence as that wuld have been even harder to dish out.

As for the 10 DOGSO reds in a season at kids football, that's just wild.
Least his club scores can't be difficult to beat. (However, if I was appointment secretary I would nominate him to every game, imagine the end of season bash you could throw).

Before issuing the yellow to the keeper, let him know he needs to distribute the ball. Be firm and let him know. They will always release it a few seconds after that warning, so be early with your warning.

I think I've yellow one keeper for delaying the restart. Goal kick, shouted at him to hurry up as he had dragged it out, he then proceeded to bang his heel off the goalpost. Didn't even hesitate at that point.

Last edited:
Back