A&H

Junior/Youth last minute 13-0 dogso

I’m going to add a note to my post above. As I read the OP on a tackle from behind, I was picturing a cynical play from behind. And I stand completely by the view that a cynical play by a team blowing out the opponent absolutely deserves the red here, even at the age and even if it is not a particularly high level of play. If it was a clumsy/honest foul, I’d be more persuaded by the arguments in favor of seeking an excuse to give a caution instead—which can include how obvious the scoring opportunity was for the level of play.

The Referee Store
I have a friend who refs in the same youth league as me and his red card count is higher than his yellows. 9/10 this season we’re for DOGSO or DOGSO-H. Completely understand going red. At u14 they know what they’re doing, so imho should be punished/rewarded accordingly.

I have a friend who refs in the same youth league as me and his red card count is higher than his yellows. 9/10 this season we’re for DOGSO or DOGSO-H. Completely understand going red. At u14 they know what they’re doing, so imho should be punished/rewarded accordingly.
10 reds in a kids league?

They’ve reffed over 50 games this season as they regularly do several a day and most of them are U14+ with the notoriously rough teams. It’s shocks me too tbh. I’ve had 1 yellow.
So he’s finding a DOGSO event in about one out of 5 U14 games? That suggests to me his calibration is out of whack and he has an overinflated view of what an OGSO really is, especially at that level.

So he’s finding a DOGSO event in about one out of 5 U14 games? That suggests to me his calibration is out of whack and he has an overinflated view of what an OGSO really is, especially at that level.
I have thought that but I was at 1 game which saw 2 of them as his Lino. Both were nailed on dogso so I’m assuming he can judge it. Although I can’t be certain.

Referees will get grief for applying the law here and will get grief for not doing so (although in this scenario that is very unlikely). Don't worry about the grief, deal with it as you see fit.

When refereeing a game, my last concern is whoever is refereeing these teams in their next game. I have enough to deal with in my own game.

Use your judgement on your game and the next referee must do the same too.

We are talking about 13 year olds playing in what I assume is a low standard of football (considering the score) and the score is 13-0. I have hardly done any kids football in my 8 years of refereeing, but there is a mercy rule because situations where one team hammers the other has alot of negative effects on the losing team. At 13-0 at this low level of kids footy, I'd suggest your management skills need improving if you're going for the red card for a DOGSO. That wouldn't be a criticism of anyone awarding a red card because they've done so knowing that it won't necessarily be accepted well and it's turned what is probably an easy game at 13-0 into a tough one for the referee. But that is a situation that could be managed better, and managing people/games is important.

I am in no way saying doing this in a game which is competitive. There are also other factors at play like goal difference, maybe another team battling relegation with the team who's 13-0 down etc. This is where your judgement comes in. But they're 13 year old kids and it's been a pretty grim experience for them already. Mercy?
The offender was in the winning team . . .

If ticks the DDCC criteria, then has to be DOGSO. Not your place to decide if it is fair or not. Laws are the laws.

D - Distance from goal (just outside box - tick)
D - Direction of travel (towards goal - tick)
C - in control of ball (tick)
C - covering defender (nobody based on your desc - tick).

I say to myself DOGSO if it looks like if a foul happens it’s a red - because often when you blow and look around, in that split instant the other defenders catch up.

Think you got it bang on the money!

If ticks the DDCC criteria, then has to be DOGSO. Not your place to decide if it is fair or not. Laws are the laws.

D - Distance from goal (just outside box - tick)
D - Direction of travel (towards goal - tick)
C - in control of ball (tick)
C - covering defender (nobody based on your desc - tick).

I say to myself DOGSO if it looks like if a foul happens it’s a red - because often when you blow and look around, in that split instant the other defenders catch up.

Think you got it bang on the money!
Do you apply law to every situation?

Of course. But are you telling me that you apply law strictly to every situation?
I’d be lying if I said yes. But that’s only when it comes to minor things. I wouldn’t ignore blatant offences. Minor meaning kids wearing the wrong colour undershirts in 1C in December

I’d be lying if I said yes. But that’s only when it comes to minor things. I wouldn’t ignore blatant offences. Minor meaning kids wearing the wrong colour undershirts in 1C in December
Sounds like you invoke the spirit of the game there (and you're right to do so).

What about when the keeper blatantly holds the ball for longer than 6 seconds?
I’ve penalised that before. Twice in one game. That gets on my nerves when I ref and when I watch. Did him for a very easy PI as well.
Edit: before someone argues with this, holding the hall for 15+ seconds twice in one game is PI imho

Back