A&H

Level 4 Observations/Merit Tables

When is the Assessment Day? You'll have to report back and fill us in with what they subject you to
There are 2 level 4-3 days. Next Monday and Tuesday. I've no idea how many people will be there though!

Edit: To clarify, it's only one of the 2 days for each ref. Still awaiting more information about timings and stuff though.

The Referee Store
The Cooper is generally feared by all folk at all levels of fitness because it's maximal.
I think there's at least a couple in this thread that would disagree with this statement.

Agree that 2 seconds is huge over 75m and then X by 40.

Apologies for taking this off topic, but as the thread is quite active and this question doesn't warrant it's own thread, does anyone know how to clear your 'alerts' on moas? Or to change them from unread to read. I worked out the latter once before, but now I can't seem to.

I think there's at least a couple in this thread that would disagree with this statement.

Agree that 2 seconds is huge over 75m and then X by 40.
What I mean by that, is the Cooper (to measure VO2Max) is a maximal test for everyone so it's therefore evil without exception
2600m or 2700m is a walk in the park for some however and is sub-maximal with a capital SUB

Apologies for taking this off topic, but as the thread is quite active and this question doesn't warrant it's own thread, does anyone know how to clear your 'alerts' on moas? Or to change them from unread to read. I worked out the latter once before, but now I can't seem to.
That's challenge is part of your pre-Assessment Day. If you can figure it out, let us know

I personally preferred the Cooper test. I do a fair bit of distant running, so putting my headphones in and running round the track a few times suited me.

With the new one you can't really wear headphones as you need to listen to the beeps. Probably keeps you more switched on.

Sprints was always my downfall as I've never been naturally quick. Add in the speed gates, it becomes even harder.

They've got too many officials in many areas hence the lack of appointments.
The pass rate for fitness tests was higher than expected so can see why they might try and thin the herd.

Timing gates for the sprints at level 4 would be a start.

I personally preferred the Cooper test. I do a fair bit of distant running, so putting my headphones in and running round the track a few times suited me.

With the new one you can't really wear headphones as you need to listen to the beeps. Probably keeps you more switched on.

Sprints was always my downfall as I've never been naturally quick. Add in the speed gates, it becomes even harder.
There are nine aspects to overall fitness. You obviously excel at aerobic endurance (first or second percentile based on 1:30 half) which is just one of the nine

There are nine aspects to overall fitness. You obviously excel at endurance which is just one of the nine
Incorrect. One of the aspects is to look good whilst doing it.

And I also excel at that 😃

Anyone interested in fitness (VERY INTERESTED), should checkout some podcasts from here
Bit much for most folk, but extremely detailed if you're well up for it

The level 4 test is straight forward compared to the Cooper test. The only people I’ve ever seen fail the level 4 test (myself included) is through injury rather than fitness. Cooper test always caught a few out in my experience

The FA had a shortage - opened the gates (as such by changing the fitness test requirements) - now they have too many. Less are "retiring" or "reclassifying" so less games avaliable to the pool. They may make changes to the officials on certain leagues - as they have in the past to give more games out.

The FA had a shortage - opened the gates (as such by changing the fitness test requirements) - now they have too many. Less are "retiring" or "reclassifying" so less games avaliable to the pool. They may make changes to the officials on certain leagues - as they have in the past to give more games out.
It's not going to get any better but I suspect what they want to do is put the bottleneck at 5-4. There is more scope to be selective about who is promoted and the existing system of ranking 5-4 candidates should mean only the best candidates from that cohort are brought into the NLS. This also ties up with being able to get to a position to get to 5-4 a lot faster. This should mean that there are much more candidates to choose from as more applications. Whether CFAs will be able to cope with the demand is anyone's guess.
I won't be surprised if we end up with 2 5-4 windows, seasonal and Annual

It's not going to get any better but I suspect what they want to do is put the bottleneck at 5-4. There is more scope to be selective about who is promoted and the existing system of ranking 5-4 candidates should mean only the best candidates from that cohort are brought into the NLS. This also ties up with being able to get to a position to get to 5-4 a lot faster. This should mean that there are much more candidates to choose from as more applications. Whether CFAs will be able to cope with the demand is anyone's guess.
I won't be surprised if we end up with 2 5-4 windows, seasonal and Annual

We already do have 2 windows don't we? At all levels? (7-6, 6-5, 5-4 etc)

We already do have 2 windows don't we? At all levels? (7-6, 6-5, 5-4 etc)
Not 5-4. The 7-6 and 7-5 has two points in the year where, if you have achieved the criteria you (most likely) will be promoted.
There are no mid season promotions for 5-4 referees.
It was done in COVID but only because the promotion season was extended over a longer period due to lockdowns, seasons being cancelled etc.

Not 5-4. The 7-6 and 7-5 has two points in the year where, if you have achieved the criteria you (most likely) will be promoted.
There are no mid season promotions for 5-4 referees.
It was done in COVID but only because the promotion season was extended over a longer period due to lockdowns, seasons being cancelled etc.

I'm not arguing as I've no idea how these things work, so please don't think I'm insisting I'm correct, but my local county FA announced someone as promoted 5-4 in December just gone?

I know it was first done in COVID because I was the beneficiary of mid season promotion that first year it happened

Last edited:
I'm not arguing as I've no idea how these things work, so please don't think I'm insisting I'm correct, but my local county FA announced someone as promoted 5-4 in December just gone?

I know it was first done in COVID because I was the beneficiary of mid season promotion that first year it happened
We can have an argument if you want one? 😉😂

Perhaps I am wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

Done some quick googling, I am able to find a 5-4 progression pathway for this season and I am able to find one for, an annual 5-4 starting from Jan 1st 2024. But nothing for 23-24 🤷🏻

We can have an argument if you want one? 😉😂

Perhaps I am wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

Done some quick googling, I am able to find a 5-4 progression pathway for this season and I am able to find one for, an annual 5-4 starting from Jan 1st 2024. But nothing for 23-24 🤷🏻
I do love a good argument, but only when I know I'm right, and this doesn't come under that category 😆

Happy to clarify for you both :) . There are indeed two promotion 'seasons' for 5 to 4's. One runs in line with the promotion season and one with the calendar year. For those on the 'seasonal' one, there is the possibility of mid season nominations / promotions if all criteria have been met by 31st December.

As such, we will see a raft of new Level 4's each January and then again come May / Jun time. As you say James, 5 to 4 is now the Level where the FA can (and doubtless will) turn on and off the taps as they choose. The ranking of the nominations has always allowed them to do this but the need to do so will be much greater now that a greater number of 'less qualified' candidates will be in a position to attempt 5 to 4. Certainly in my county we have roughly twice as many 5 to 4 candidates as has been the case across the preceding 2-3 years. And it is indeed a challenge to organise all the required observations!

Last edited:
Back