A&H

Liverpool V Utd

The Referee Store
No

HIs brand name might have went galactic but he single handed did ridiculous things for Utd, folk forget his fa cup semi goal because of Giggs, he won the league v Spurs, and he scored v East Fife in a game I was part of!

To be honest, I never really valued or rated ( :p ) your input as far as the footballer side of things goes mate - Your comment about Scholes being England's only truly World Class player a few months back told me enough. Lol. I do value and respect your contributions from a referee perspective though. :)

Ciley/Ricey,
David Beckham was probably England's last true "World Class" footballer.
He was considered to be as such by the time he left Old Trafford but was part of the Giggs/Scoles/Neville foundation that SAF set up and won numerous honours with.
After he went to Madrid, surrounded by international superstars, he proceeded to shine even more and was almost single-handedly instrumental in helping them win La Liga there in his final season. He stood out week in week out in a team of "Galacticos".
He showed his true World Class by virtue of that long after he left Man Utd.
You'd have to be blind (or Scottish) not to see that.
Keep idolising that French thug if you like mate but best you stick to posting about referee stuff as opposed to football in general. ;):D:D

To be honest, I never really valued or rated ( :p ) your input as far as the footballer side of things goes mate - Your comment about Scholes being England's only truly World Class player a few months back told me enough. Lol. I do value and respect your contributions from a referee perspective though. :)

Ciley/Ricey,
He was considered to be as such by the time he left Old Trafford but was part of the Giggs/Scoles/Neville foundation that SAF set up and won numerous honours with.
After he went to Madrid, surrounded by international superstars, he proceeded to shine even more and was almost single-handedly instrumental in helping them win La Liga there in his final season. He stood out week in week out in a team of "Galacticos".
Keep idolising that French thug if you like mate but best you stick to posting about referee stuff as opposed to football in general. ;):D:D
The French thug and his trusty Scandinavian keeper were together responsible for NUFC missing out on the title... 1-0, 1-0 1-0 and all that
Becks was a phenomenal crosser of the ball and stupendous set-piece artist, but only rocked my boat when in 'those' positions to do so

Last edited:
At least Ole has the same managerial record in the Premiership Cups as Klopp..... He's one of their own!!!

Ciley/Ricey,

You cant have read my bit about getting a signed Beckham top.
You sum up my point, he was surrounded by superstars.
Eric though was the superstar.

That's purely a matter of opinion.

He is widely accepted as being the last piece in the jigsaw and the inspiration to Scholes, Beckham etc
Not just his ability but his presence, also despite not actually being there that long, he tops any Utd greatest player fan list, yes even above Charlton and Best and Law, although in fairness a lot of folk wont have actually seen them play to make informed judgement.
Am allowed my opinion and whilst there have been all round better players in my lifetime, he is the one who to this day captivated me the most.

Sept 2015 Beckham on bbc himself did not consider himself world class but he does consider Eric and Scholes to be so
Modesty? Maybe
Reality? Certainly

He is widely accepted as being the last piece in the jigsaw and the inspiration to Scholes, Beckham etc
Not just his ability but his presence, also despite not actually being there that long, he tops any Utd greatest player fan list, yes even above Charlton and Best and Law, although in fairness a lot of folk wont have actually seen them play to make informed judgement.
Am allowed my opinion and whilst there have been all round better players in my lifetime, he is the one who to this day captivated me the most.

Sept 2015 Beckham on bbc himself did not consider himself world class but he does consider Eric and Scholes to be so
Modesty? Maybe
Reality? Certainly

Again, your opinion.

Beckham was the finest midfielder of his generation, Zidane aside.

Cantona was an arrogant thug who benefitted from SAF's management style and the players around him. Again, just my take on it, but I always considered him rather overrated. More inspirational than sensational. A bit like Gerrard at Liverpool - another (IMO) vastly overrated player.

I don't think Cantona would have shone at Madrid where he'd have been in a team with Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo and co. Beckham did, continuously.

And he was an Englishman. ;):D

The French thug and his trusty Scandinavian keeper were together responsible for NUFC missing out on the title... 1-0, 1-0 1-0 and all that
Becks was a phenomenal crosser of the ball and stupendous set-piece artist, but only rocked my boat when in 'those' positions to do so

That's like saying Stan Collymore was the reason Toon didn't lift the title that year mate.
We failed both times under Keegan because we bottled it when it really mattered. Cantona and Schmeichel influencing the outcome of one or two games per season doesn't cut it. Toon threw away a 12 point lead at the top in Jan 96. Talk about handing your rivals the baton .... :rolleyes:

Again, your opinion.

Beckham was the finest midfielder of his generation, Zidane aside.

Cantona was an arrogant thug who benefitted from SAF's management style and the players around him. Again, just my take on it, but I always considered him rather overrated. More inspirational than sensational. A bit like Gerrard at Liverpool - another (IMO) vastly overrated player.

I don't think Cantona would have shone at Madrid where he'd have been in a team with Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo and co. Beckham did, continuously.

And he was an Englishman. ;):D

Zidene is on record as saying Scholes is the best midfielder.
His opinion I think trumps mine and yours.
I think Beckham continued to shine because of those around him.
I think Eric was the one who made an entire generation shine.
Erics displays for Utd in Europe were average. Some of that may have been down to the forgeinger rule, maybe not.
Eric single handed won a double for Utd, Beckham played a key part in Utds treble, Utd would have won that treble without Beckham, Utd would not have won that double without Eric

That's like saying Stan Collymore was the reason Toon didn't lift the title that year mate.
We failed both times under Keegan because we bottled it when it really mattered. Cantona and Schmeichel influencing the outcome of one or two games per season doesn't cut it. Toon threw away a 12 point lead at the top in Jan 96. Talk about handing your rivals the baton .... :rolleyes:

Those two players influenced the one big game that they had too.
And bottling it, yes, selling your main striker to your title rivals did not help either!

15292-zoom.jpg
It's common knowledge that Utd tried to sign at least two top strikers in that era, Shearer The Flopper and David Hirst. In his day Hirst was up there with AS and certainly had a harder shot. @RustyRef will I'm sure vouch for this and his prowess in front of goal, didn't Wednesday win 5/5 from the start of an early year of the Prem?? Can't remember which year but they qualified for Europe that year too...

We have a current player who was on the books of Utd as a kid, Oliver Norwood, he strikes the ball just like Scholes did and his thinking of the pass is way above our players and level. He does that flat type arched pass with his outstep, when it works its different gravy. Scholes was some player too, shame they all got old together as you cant be that lucky as a club too often as it happened in 92-93

Not sure I agree with any of this. Which is unusual
We battered MU at home. Akin to rolling a dice with only one losing number
The Mags choked after that, with Keegan's rant the catalyst. But Cantona and Schmeichel were absolutely sensational throughout the entire second half of that season (I vividly recall the sustained pain they inflicted).
David Beckham was probably England's last true "World Class" footballer
I'm not on board with this either! Hey ho, all about opinions :moon:

We've not had the best of the best in the Premier League, EVER, we've had a few decent ones over the years but despite its popularity we've never had the top top players in numbers in the Prem!!! Has the plethora of bang average journeymen money grabbers affected us, Hell yes!!!

Back