A&H

Man City v Spurs

There were 2 cautions
Haaland and Emerson(Spurs) for the initial incident... Nothing for the whole city squad surrounding the referee.

Also, anyone notice that Haaland aggressively hit the ref's hands/arms down with a lot of force? Yet, not a red card. Worse than Mitrovic in my opinion.

That's honestly a worse mistake than the non advantage

The Referee Store
Waited until this morning to comment so I could take my City head off and put my referee head on to try to understand how Hooper made such a bad error.

What I'm really struggling with here is the point at which Hooper stops the game. If he'd blown immediately after the foul it's a missed advantage and SPA caution for Emerson Royal, but it's a bit of a nothing decision and nobody would be talking about it. I could also just about understand if he'd blown whilst Haaland had possession of the ball. Haaland has been fouled, regained control of the ball (at which point Hooper signals the advantage) and played a pass through the defence to an onside Grealish (and even if he'd been offside the flag would not have gone straight up), and it's at the point Grealish gains control that he blows.

I do feel sorry for him because we've all been there, but it's a horrendous error.

If he'd blown immediately after the foul it's a missed advantage and SPA caution for Emerson Royal,
The actual foul wasn't stopping a promising attack though. Heading away from goal, outnumbered by defenders, it's a foul and nothing more.

The only thing I can think that is that maybe, just maybe, as he sees the pass being made, and with 3 Spurs defenders in attendance, he doesn't realise it's going to reach Grealish - or at least not in such an adventageous way.
I think this is the best explanation. An off-balance player on the turn and passing to a teammate who's surrounded by 3 defenders and has no other support? That's never going to come to anything, best to stop, give the FK and let them move up the pitch.

He's made a human error, just as Haaland did when missing a near open goal. Hooper will have been cursing himself on his long drive home, but I've certainly been too quick on the whistle when I could and should have played advantage, and I think most referees will have been. I did it in a big local derby in an Isthmian League game with over 1000 spectators and I was still thinking about it days later. I didn't do it deliberately, I just misread the situation and made a stupid decision.

He had an excellent game, evidenced by the fact that Mike Dean sat unemployed until second half stoppage time, but every human being will make mistakes.
Sorry I disagree Haaland still on the pitch and this error feel PGMOL will be having a look at him and asking him about his performance if people can call out poor player performance the same should be done to refs at any senior level meaning adults so 16+

The actual foul wasn't stopping a promising attack though. Heading away from goal, outnumbered by defenders, it's a foul and nothing more.
It was, though. Defenders do that because they want us to stop the game. By stopping the game you're losing the rythym of the attacking team. Just let it run for a few seconds and see how it pans out.

Does Hooper blow his whistle?

Whistle to mouth with foul signal. Then advantage. Followed almost immediately by stopping play.
That, or he didnt see Grealish and think Haaland is just punting it upfield.

I don't buy the offside version I have heard as that's a clear delay delay delay and everyone would forget about the foul anyway.

The only thing I can think that is that maybe, just maybe, as he sees the pass being made, and with 3 Spurs defenders in attendance, he doesn't realise it's going to reach Grealish - or at least not in such an adventageous way.
Yeah, that could well be the case. There's only one person that really knows, and that's Mr Hooper

It was, though. Defenders do that because they want us to stop the game. By stopping the game you're losing the rythym of the attacking team. Just let it run for a few seconds and see how it pans out.
I'm sorry, but a foul, in that part of the park, moving away from goal, is not a promising attack. It may become one but at the point it is not promising.

I think it's easy to mistake that what happens after the foul means it's SPA but in reality, if you blew the whistle immediately there was nothing promising about that situation.

I'm sorry, but a foul, in that part of the park, moving away from goal, is not a promising attack. It may become one but at the point it is not promising.

I think it's easy to mistake that what happens after the foul means it's SPA but in reality, if you blew the whistle immediately there was nothing promising about that situation.
My point is, just wait to see whether it becomes one.

This is really a brain freeze moment and they lead to unexplainable decisions. There are plenty of those on YouTube. A couple of possible reasons already mentioned, another is he mistook Girlish as a defender. Yes implausible but brain freeze does that.

Man City chasing the game, time ticking down, clear foul and you want to have the referee wait to see if a ball punted forwards towards 3 defenders comes to anything?

On the high-probability chance that it doesn't, the ball is then further away from the spot of the foul, requiring more time to reset and you also have an aggrieved Spurs team, who feel like City would be getting (and I hate this term, but it applies here) 2 bites of the cherry. 1 pass is normal for advantage, and if you see that pass and think it's not going to result in anything, normally the quicker you stop the play the better.

I've long since deduced that referees stop improving after a certain number of years. Arguably by the time a referee gets to National League or National League South, that's it. Beyond such a certain level, it occurs to me that we're all much if a muchness and promotion is largely a function of luck (and likely, positive discrimination going forward). The reason I believe this, is because elite referees make the same mistakes as their colleagues lower down on about the same frequency

This mistake was an 'absolute howler' IMO, not just a howler. If I do that this weekend, the consequences will be unthinkable

It's normal that verbal misconduct is allowed to pass in such circumstances. Too busy wanting a hole in the ground to open up rather than double down with cards and sin bins

Ok well you are quoting me out of context then...read the post I was responding to who said it was a missed advantage and so a caution for SPA. The promising attack at that point had not started so it couldn't be an SPA offence.

I agree the ref should wait, but that's adding a new context to the post I was referring to.

In any event, the foul does not stop/interfere with a promising attack as it didn't exist at that point. Before it can be either SPA (or IPA) the foul has to happen after the attack has become promising, otherwise it is just a foul with no technical sanction.

Man City chasing the game, time ticking down, clear foul and you want to have the referee wait to see if a ball punted forwards towards 3 defenders comes to anything?

On the high-probability chance that it doesn't, the ball is then further away from the spot of the foul, requiring more time to reset and you also have an aggrieved Spurs team, who feel like City would be getting (and I hate this term, but it applies here) 2 bites of the cherry. 1 pass is normal for advantage, and if you see that pass and think it's not going to result in anything, normally the quicker you stop the play the better.
Yes. Once you give the free kick, you're taking the advantage away. Spurs want you to give a free kick so that they can get everybody behind the ball. Since when has 1 pass been nomal for an advantage ? (other say 3-4 seconds). Anyway, what i'm suggsting is that we shouldn't be signalling for advantage. Just let it run and see how it pans out.

What is the odds on the FA completely ignoring these scenes and justifying it because the referee made a mistake. Ederson ran 40 yards to protest. The message to grassroots, if the referee has made a mistake (or if you think he has) free for all on mobbing the referee. These are the moments the FA can show leadership in quashing dissent rather than putting it back on referees to sin bin when they know it won't happen.

Screenshot_20231204-184710~2.jpg

Screenshot_20231204-190426~2.jpg

Yes. Once you give the free kick, you're taking the advantage away. Spurs want you to give a free kick so that they can get everybody behind the ball. Since when has 1 pass been nomal for an advantage ? (other say 3-4 seconds). Anyway, what i'm suggsting is that we shouldn't be signalling for advantage. Just let it run and see how it pans out.
How many times a game? Every foul? I've been that hesitant referee and trust me, it doesn't lead to much faith in you from players.

1 pass, 3-4 seconds, all much of a muchness here - I invite you to rewatch the clip with a stopwatch and see if it's only 3-4 seconds between the foul and the point a few moments after the referee blows his whistle when Grealish would have been clear. I've just done exactly that and reckon the ball is in the air and roughly over the Spurs defenders head at the 4 second mark. It doesn't become a clear opportunity for another second or two, when Grealish has managed to control it perfectly to take himself away from defenders and it becomes clear the AR isn't flagging an offside.

I'm probably arguing a slightly different point to everyone else on the thread because I still just don't see that as a howler. He's off balance, in his own half, facing the wrong direction and the referee is supposed to expect that he's going to clip a perfect through ball past 3 defenders to a player who's timed his run perfectly and who Haaland never seems to look at? 99% of the time the free kick is the right call and the quicker you get to that decision, the happier everyone is.

I'm probably arguing a slightly different point to everyone else on the thread because I still just don't see that as a howler. He's off balance, in his own half, facing the wrong direction and the referee is supposed to expect that he's going to clip a perfect through ball past 3 defenders to a player who's timed his run perfectly and who Haaland never seems to look at? 99% of the time the free kick is the right call and the quicker you get to that decision, the happier everyone is.

I'm in agreement to a point..I think for us within this forum and the levels we operate at, you are bang on the money.

I think at this level, especially around Haaland not looking etc I think there is less consideration needed. Haaland doesn't need to look. He just plays that's ball because he knows/expects the run to be made. These are highly trained professionals who work on this all week so they know I just need to put the ball here because I know Jack has been coached to make this run.

I'm in agreement to a point..I think for us within this forum and the levels we operate at, you are bang on the money.

I think at this level, especially around Haaland not looking etc I think there is less consideration needed. Haaland doesn't need to look. He just plays that's ball because he knows/expects the run to be made. These are highly trained professionals who work on this all week so they know I just need to put the ball here because I know Jack has been coached to make this run.
Absolutely, you do have to raise the level of expectation, but even so, that's really unlikely to be better than a FK IMO.

As someone else pointed out earlier in the thread - they're good, but they're not perfect. Haaland has already missed an open goal in this game that I wouldn't be shocked to see finished off on my local bobbly park. Expecting every blind pass to be spot-on is overcorrecting for their skill level.

What is the odds on the FA completely ignoring these scenes and justifying it because the referee made a mistake. Ederson ran 40 yards to protest. The message to grassroots, if the referee has made a mistake (or if you think he has) free for all on mobbing the referee. These are the moments the FA can show leadership in quashing dissent rather than putting it back on referees to sin bin when they know it won't happen.

View attachment 7008

View attachment 7009
I know there is a caption attached as took it off Facebook, but he is another angle of Haaland at the ref and glad he is cautioned.
But others should have too, especially the keeper. That's an easy one (distance travelled to join in having a go).
FB_IMG_1701688834860.jpg

Back