A&H

Pass Back?

KB

I'll take a tough game over an easy game any day!!
Level 4 Referee
Was watching a game yesterday and a defender deliberately flicks the ball up from a pass from a teammate, flicks up the ball deliberately and heads it back to his own GK. Referee awards IDFK and Cautions the player. Can I have your thoughts on this please?

The Referee Store
Yeah sounds the right decision for the situation, the player tried to circumvent the law and it didn't work. I hope the free kick is from where he flicked it up and not where the keeper picked it up??

The referee is right to caution the player and award an IDFK. This is USB as the player uses a deliberate trick while the ball is in play to pass the ball to his own goalkeeper with his head, chest, knee, etc. in order to circumvent the Law, irrespective of whether the goalkeeper touches the ball with his hands or not. The offence is committed by the player in attempting to circumvent both the letter and the spirit of Law 12 and play is restarted with an indirect free kick

So if a player does this and the keeper doesn't pick it up the ref should still award the free kick. It would take a braver ref than me to try and get away with it :)

if a player does this and the keeper doesn't pick it up, and the same player or another player kicks the ball again i would just play on as there is no offence committed.

Yes,on reflection and another look at the rules to "circumvent" regardless of outcome is an offence so IFK and caution.

cats.jpg

Would you actually apply the lotg yourself and caution him if the keeper hadn't touched the ball with his hands, MIP. Just wondering
yes because as a referee I am required to enforce the Laws of the Game. The good thing is that this incidences rarely happen in the game.

Fair enough....although I think you have said previously that you wouldn't caution a player for angrily shouting 'feck off, ref' when you gave an offside decision against him'

Just to add to the debate, In my game last weekend, a blue attacker was dribbling the ball towards the penally area. I was about 5 yards in front of the defender, facing play and ready to move out of the way as neccessary. Red defender, to my left, started shouting, 'ref, ref' and repeated this loudly about three times in quick succession. The blue attacker, still in control of the ball stopped dribbling, to my mind as a result of the calls of the defender and a red defender took the ball past him and moved upfield. Consequently, I stopped play and gave an idfk to the attacker because the defender, shouting 'ref, ref' three times in quick succession, had 'verbally distracted him during play'

Cue bemusement from both sets of players, despite my telling them why I had awarded the free kick. Defender who had shouted saying that he had seen two players injured, another defender asking if it was a drop-ball. Blue attacker took free kick and just played it over the goal line to give a goal kick to the red team.

At no point did it cross my mind to caution the red defender (mandatory caution).....maybe next time ;)

Fair enough....although I think you have said previously that you wouldn't caution a player for angrily shouting 'feck off, ref' when you gave an offside decision against him'

Just to add to the debate, In my game last weekend, a blue attacker was dribbling the ball towards the penally area. I was about 5 yards in front of the defender, facing play and ready to move out of the way as neccessary. Red defender, to my left, started shouting, 'ref, ref' and repeated this loudly about three times in quick succession. The blue attacker, still in control of the ball stopped dribbling, to my mind as a result of the calls of the defender and a red defender took the ball past him and moved upfield. Consequently, I stopped play and gave an idfk to the attacker because the defender, shouting 'ref, ref' three times in quick succession, had 'verbally distracted him during play'

Cue bemusement from both sets of players, despite my telling them why I had awarded the free kick. Defender who had shouted saying that he had seen two players injured, another defender asking if it was a drop-ball. Blue attacker took free kick and just played it over the goal line to give a goal kick to the red team.

At no point did it cross my mind to caution the red defender (mandatory caution).....maybe next time ;)
Everything is left at your own discretion as the match referee. The decision you take should be in accordance with the LOTG. From Law 1-18.

How about this one.

Goalkeeper has the ball and can't pick it up. Chips the ball to one of his defenders, who then heads it back to him. He catches it and attempts a fly kick.

examples of trickery
1. a player who deliberately flicks the ball with his feet up and heads, knees or chests the ball to his goalkeeper
2. a player who kneels down and deliberately pushes the ball to the goalkeeper with his knee
3. a player who lies down to deliberately heads a ball back to the goalkeeper during free kick
This things are uncommon but can happen in the game.

Back