A&H

Ref forgets coin in WSL, gets players to play rock paper scissors.

I can confirm I would not opt for that method, primarily as I dont know how to conduct such a ritual !!!

If I had no other choice in the whole planet then I would think I would opt for, whistle is in which hand tbh.

The issue I would have with it (and this is thinking about it far too much) is that rock, paper, scissors can be easily won by anyone with just a vague understanding of human psychology more often than not i.e. there's no chance involved in it as there is with a coin toss.

The Referee Store
The issue I would have with it (and this is thinking about it far too much) is that rock, paper, scissors can be easily won by anyone with just a vague understanding of human psychology more often than not i.e. there's no chance involved in it as there is with a coin toss.
Or in my case good eye sight as the finger grip of my Valkeen whistle will be showing between my fingers :p

21 days is the standard referee suspension for failing to proficiently apply the laws of the game in England, especially at senior levels. You have to remember this was live on TV as well, so whilst relatively minor it could be argued to have damaged the reputation of refereeing. Especially in the current climate where there are lots of complaints from the senior female game that they aren't treated the same way as the male game when it comes to refereeing, have you ever seen rock, paper, scissors used in a men's televised game … ?!

On that point about not being treated the same - they are not - lower grade referees used at top level than at top level of men's game - but that's because the game is slower, not as good. Its the elephant in the room, no one wants to admit that a decent U16s male team would beat any senior women's team - it's just down to physicality. The women's game is an enjoyable and thriving sport, I enjoy officiating on many women's games but it needs to stop trying to be the same as the men's game - it isn't.

On that point about not being treated the same - they are not - lower grade referees used at top level than at top level of men's game - but that's because the game is slower, not as good. Its the elephant in the room, no one wants to admit that a decent U16s male team would beat any senior women's team - it's just down to physicality. The women's game is an enjoyable and thriving sport, I enjoy officiating on many women's games but it needs to stop trying to be the same as the men's game - it isn't.

Few seasons back I reffed a senior womens team v a U19 boys team
We stopped around 75 mins, near 20 goals....

Come to think of it...I always have a spare coin tucked inside my little black caution book, so I would like to think my contingency plan would have worked in this situation.

That's a good point about belittling the Women's game, by letting him off lightly !

Last edited:
Nigel Owens is probably the most respected ref in UK sport and he's tweeted on the matter. Long story short, he's done it twice and believes a bit of fun is often what's needed. I couldn't agree more. As for the 3 game ban, utterly ridiculous, it's just a method of starting the match. Why do referees have to behave like robots? Yes the ref made a mistake in forgetting his coin but he's just used a bit of initiative and had a laugh and if it's one thing sport is often short of its a bit of fun with the officials, what harm can come from it? Absolutely archaic thinking and punishment.

I don't use a coin that often, "pick a hand" with the whistle is no different in its application but I will use a coin every time from now on because now this issue is in the public domain you can imagine a team who have had a man sent of by you or lost to a late penalty marking you down and reporting that you didn't start the game with the coin toss and id probably get a 3 week ban!!! Then again if I received a ban for not tossing a coin id hang the whistle up. Help the refs, dont hinder them with beaurocratic nonsense

Ive used the blade of grass in one hand concealed method, does it really matter?? Really! We’ve bigger issues than this to worry about I’m sure, it’s a non story blown out of proportion by some jumped up FA idiot being a c0ck! Move on!

Spot on. 3 years ago I referees a night game in a decent complex. Next pitch was a friendly game between Australian Matildas (national women) and U16 Newcastle Jets (A-League club). It ended up 8-1 to the boys.
There are areas they must get equality. Equal respect. Equal application of the law, equal facilities... but otherwise not necessarily like skill level of referee or coach. Pay is a sensitive one but it should always be proportionate to the amount you generate with some other strategy like marketing and future plans factored in.

In terms of a fall-back I’ve gone with starting my watch whilst talking. Stop it when finished - a team gets to call odd or even number. Completely random as it is with the coin

Back