A&H

Ref forgets coin in WSL, gets players to play rock paper scissors.

The Referee Store
No evidence that was a recent picture?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ck-paper-scissors-ban-hes-presented-coin.html

However McNamara has gained support from some in the game, including Royal Navy Football Association (RNFA) referee's committee.

The committee posted a picture on their Twitter page of McNamara being presented with a special coin by a member of the navy.

The tweet said 'HMS Victorious Casing Officer Matthew Kromolicki awarding David McNamara a commemorative coin to use instead of RPS', along with emojis of a fist, a piece of paper and a pair of scissors.

I would be very surprised if this wasnt recent given the context.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ck-paper-scissors-ban-hes-presented-coin.html

However McNamara has gained support from some in the game, including Royal Navy Football Association (RNFA) referee's committee.

The committee posted a picture on their Twitter page of McNamara being presented with a special coin by a member of the navy.

The tweet said 'HMS Victorious Casing Officer Matthew Kromolicki awarding David McNamara a commemorative coin to use instead of RPS', along with emojis of a fist, a piece of paper and a pair of scissors.

I would be very surprised if this wasnt recent given the context.
Didn't see that bit, my bad.

I disagree somewhat.

When you consider that he has been charged for not acting in the best interests of the game. There is a really big focus from all involved within the womens game to bring parity with the mens game.. and at the very least increase participation in the womens game including viewership. Fact is the perception is you wouldnt see that in the mens game and this therefore means it goes against everything that the womens game is trying to achieve.

Do I agree with the suspension? No, its pretty harsh and your points are absolutely valid.

You make some valid points and I cannot disagree with your reasoning. However, regardless of whether it's men or women's football, sometimes I believe that people
Can I argue with the charge taking into consideration the other factors? Again, no i cant, it fits the crime almost perfectly.

You make some valid points and it's difficult to argue with them. However, context is key here for me. The game did not suffer in any way but the reputation of the governing body certainly has done. People already perceive refereeing to be a very difficult job and one that runs a high risk of abuse and possible violence etc and the game is short on numbers. The last thing refereeing needs is this. A word in the war of the ref would be fine.

I do the coin toss in presence of ARs and I instruct them to carry everything they would require if they were referee
So, I like to think I would have had 2 back up coins, before approaching the 4th

I’ve been doing quite a bit of AR-ing this season and, whether the ref asks or not, I always take all equipment out with me, except my coin, as I’ve always figured the game will be up and running should I need to take over in the middle (because, say, he’s injured.)

From now on I’ll make sure I have my coin in my pocket, too.

So a video has appeared of Ryan "pay attention to me" Hampson doing rock paper scissors at the start of his game today. I guess it's been a month or two since he was on national radio or online article and was getting itchy feet. Part of a Refsupport thing, who I am sure will probably go arms in air when the FA go and suspend him for 21 days as well. Talk about poking the bear with a stick/playing chicken with the FA. Such a shame that a group that could do some serious good seem hell bent on playing tit for tat games with the FA and other various groups.

For the record...….. I think the original decision to suspend McNamara was wrong.

The Royal Navy RDO is also closely affiliated to refsupportUK. The FA may have more trouble bullying an armed services FA than county FAs.

Suspension is a joke but don’t like how refsuport jump on every bandwagon to promote themselves.

The thing is I suspect if Mr Hampson gets himself suspended he will be saying it isn't his fault and he is being picked on.

Whatever you think of the original suspension, and as I've said before a 2B referee won't be too surprised by it, copying the action that led to the suspension and posting it on Facebook is very much akin to poking a bear. It might be placid and let you get away with it, or it might be hungry and angry and consequently bite your head off.

Football is beset by problems unmatched by any other sport i can think of. The Authorities seem incapable of avoiding negative headlines. I don't care if 2b officials would expect to be banned for this because that doesn't make it right. If referees want to reenact the harmless improvisation and post their protest on Social Media, the FA deserve the negative publicity to rumble on
Maybe the FA should focus on their completely ineffectual and laughable Respect campaign

Football is beset by problems unmatched by any other sport i can think of. The Authorities seem incapable of avoiding negative headlines. I don't care if 2b officials would expect to be banned for this because that doesn't make it right. If referees want to reenact the harmless improvisation and post their protest on Social Media, the FA deserve the negative publicity to rumble on
Maybe the FA should focus on their completely ineffectual and laughable Respect campaign

There was a trivial incident at the start of a football match and the authorities actions have done nothing but pour further scorn at referees. Absolutely no good has come from the suspension, everything has been negative to the refereeing fraternity. As I've said previously, it's completely self defeating, I'd argue that the response was stupid.

I'm not sure Ryan Hampsons actions aren't equally self defeating though. The mainstream media have thrown the deserved punches, draw a line and move on.

Back