A&H

Refereeing my first open age adult game

A111

Level 7 Referee
Hi everyone
I’m 16 years old after having a successful season refereeing a u15 semi final and being a 4th official and taking the so called young referees award and finally being part of the fa core plus my county referee academy,I’ve decided not to referee anymore youth games this season so I wanted to sign up to officiate adult football,I’ve being doing lines for adult football at step 5 or 6 of the football pyramid which is known as the combined counties I have my first adult game this Sunday and I feel really nervous and shook be closest I was to refereeing adult football was womens football twice last season in which I got a surprising quarter final in my second game of adult womens football
So does anyone have any advice on refereeing adult football and because I’m really young I feel like the players will take advantage of this

The Referee Store
Hi, I am 17 and have been refereeing OA football this season and a bit of last season. OA is definitely a step up compared to most youth games but it is one you will be able to make without too much difficulty. Player management has been the biggest issue for me. There is definitely a credibility issue when you are younger and so it is important to establish and balance building positive relationships with exercising control. Most games are fine but with the few that get narky and test your control, taking time out of the game can be really useful. I try to do this (not always successfully) by taking extra time to consult with an AR when there is a match incident or just not letting a quick free kick occur when there is a card to be issued (and which I might otherwise be prepared to issue at the next stoppage). These small breaks in play can help lower tension and allow you to reset if it all feels a bit precarious.. which it sometimes does. It obviously also depends on the level of football you are involved in. Just keep doing what you are doing (you are obviously a talented referee) but think more about these player management and game control issues as you progress. At least you won’t have over protective parents to worry about! I am sure some of the many more experienced referees on this forum will have excellent tips that I will be interested in also.

Hi everyone
I’m 16 years old after having a successful season refereeing a u15 semi final and being a 4th official and taking the so called young referees award and finally being part of the fa core plus my county referee academy,I’ve decided not to referee anymore youth games this season so I wanted to sign up to officiate adult football,I’ve being doing lines for adult football at step 5 or 6 of the football pyramid which is known as the combined counties I have my first adult game this Sunday and I feel really nervous and shook be closest I was to refereeing adult football was womens football twice last season in which I got a surprising quarter final in my second game of adult womens football
So does anyone have any advice on refereeing adult football and because I’m really young I feel like the players will take advantage of this
Congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of OA football.

The main thing I would say is to be confident, both in your manner and appearance, as well as when giving decisions. Players will latch on if they sense you're unexperienced and easily swayed. (It's ok to internally be nervous and uncertain but try not to let that filter to others.) I started OA football when I was similar to your age so this comes from experience.

Most importantly, relax and enjoy it. Don't afraid to give the big decisions. The main difference you'll notice is the chat you'll get from players. Again, stay confident when dealing with this, don't let them walk over you. Stay friendly and banter where you can, but don't be afraid to tell them to pack it in when it gets a bit too much.

The players should not take advantage of your age.
You may not wish to buy you really ought to let clubs know prior to the game that you are u18, or ensure that you wear the relevant indication (here it is a purple shirt) as there is a responsibility that you are safeguarded under FA and child protection guidelines.
Clubs need to know so that they can ensure this and if they don't they can be appropriately dealt with.

In terms of the games, just do what you have been doing in youth football. You didn't get young referee award or invited onto the Core program by accident. Take the skills you've been developing in youth and apply them the same at adults and that should hold you in good stead.

Be prepared for players asking more questions though but don't allow the questioning to undermine you.

All the best for the season ahead..do come back and let us know how it's going.

I would endorse you letting the clubs know that you are U18 when refereeing the match and it is one of your first OA game. Some of the club officials and the Captain MAY help you control some of the players, and at least they have been warned. The worst case is you have to dismiss somebody for OFFINABS, technically the FA could assess this a safeguarding issue - and the offending club/player will be dealt with separately.

But the most important thing - ENJOY and make decisions.

I'm 16, and going onto my first mens on Saturday, but in a similar position with U19 football, and mens line. Applying some of the positive aspects of match control you've taken from other refs whilst lining is always good, but ultimately, referee the game to the conditions, and make sure you enjoy it. Good luck :)

Also the pre-match - a good pre-match builds trust with players/coaches.

You know the ingredients, and it varies from place to place and from league to league. Here at grassroots, it means a chat to head coaches on the field with ARs present, then checking the goals, warm up with ARs and AR brief on the field.

Basically, apply ”best practice” in your pre-match.

Hi everyone
Thanks for your messages,
I’ve refereed my first adult game and I must say it was a really difficult one it was a real big transition from youth football as I hardly gave yellow cards last season and sin bins
In total I gave three yellow cards but it should of been much more and I feel really red faced and depressed over this and especially disappointed I should of given a yellow to the home player for when he committed a late challenge but I played advantage but I should of came back and yellow carded him for that(not sure what I was thinking)I should of given 2 sin bins too something I’m not really used to as in youth football there wasn’t really any to me I should of given a potential penalty to the home team but There was body’s only the way and then
Wow offsides are so difficult at Open age level as I can’t really judge myself if it’s offside so I have no choice but to go with the club linos decision but overall I think I had a poor game to remember and I just dont feel like refereeing adult football again even though I’m going for promotion it’s just that hard

Don't be disheartened, we all have games where we feel that we've had a poor game. The important thing is to be able to reflect on any shortcomings and to put them right next time, that is a skill on its own.

What concerns me is your comment regarding hardly giving cards or sinbins in youth football. It depends of course what age group you were officiating over but from U15 over really as the games get more competitive, cards and sinbins are just part of the game.

I would strongly advise you to get more experience at youth football, especially the older age groups, maybe do those games in addition to the odd open age game? Open age is tough and requires more skills that are built up over time.

I'm not trying to knock you by the way, it takes a lot of courage to tackle open age at your age. Are you part of a referee society? Are there referee mentors available that could join you at your next open age game?

Best of luck, don't give up

I was refereeing u15/u16 I did give yellow cards but weren’t many from last season

Can you do any open age lines? I think that would help you immensely.

Scrap that, just read the OP.

Yeah I do a lot if lines at step 5 and 6
In regards to you recent other post, was the late challenge reckless? Or just careless?

Sin bins, use them. Honestly, I think they make the world of difference. You have to be tough on players at open age, because they will take more advantage if you aren't, than youth. You will feel like you're treating them badly, but you're not. Confidence, sell your decisions, move away if they start moaning etc and then it's an easy yellow if they follow you and you've already used the stepped approach.

Offsides are difficult, I agree. Always go with the club assistant unless they're incorrect in law. You can only see one part of play at a time, by the time you've used your trailing eye on the kicker, you spin round and that potential offside will likely look a lot different to when the ball was played. Unfortunately, not a lot you can do about that, but in your pre match to the assistants and captains, tell them you will do your best, and any dissent over offside will be dealt with accordingly. Remind them you're human and you're on your own in the middle.

In open age, it's all about calm, stern, confident.

In regards to you recent other post, was the late challenge reckless? Or just careless?

Sin bins, use them. Honestly, I think they make the world of difference. You have to be tough on players at open age, because they will take more advantage if you aren't, than youth. You will feel like you're treating them badly, but you're not. Confidence, sell your decisions, move away if they start moaning etc and then it's an easy yellow if they follow you and you've already used the stepped approach.

Offsides are difficult, I agree. Always go with the club assistant unless they're incorrect in law. You can only see one part of play at a time, by the time you've used your trailing eye on the kicker, you spin round and that potential offside will likely look a lot different to when the ball was played. Unfortunately, not a lot you can do about that, but in your pre match to the assistants and captains, tell them you will do your best, and any dissent over offside will be dealt with accordingly. Remind them you're human and you're on your own in the middle.

Absolutely agree with this.

I got slated in an observation last season as I waited far too long before sin binning a player:

Yesterday I had 2 in the sin bin. One of whom kindly swore at me whilst walking off so he got an upgrade.

Generally though, the SB allows the player to chill out.

100% on this. Once you discount the ones where the flag goes up too early and you can just let the ball roll through to the GK/defender, I'd be surprised if I overrule more than 2 or 3 CAR offsides a season. They have a better position than you and (despite what some old-school refs will tell you), they are mostly either doing their best to be honest, or are disinterested in a way that disadvantages their own team!

You can sometimes double-up their position on attacking FK's but other than that, leave the question of offside position pretty much to them, be on the lookout for them flagging against a non-active player (and don't be afraid to let the play go on and then come back to clarify with them if a goal results) and you should be OK.

Absolutely agree with this.

I got slated in an observation last season as I waited far too long before sin binning a player:

Yesterday I had 2 in the sin bin. One of whom kindly swore at me whilst walking off so he got an upgrade.

Generally though, the SB allows the player to chill out.
@SurreyWolves - were you reffing a home team in yellow / green? Away team had 2 in sin bin - with the second one upgraded as you've described.
I thought the referee in that game handled it well - definitely a tough game, between two teams who clearly don't like each other!
If it was you, I said 'well done referee' as you walked towards the changing rooms at the end.

Hi everyone
Thanks for your messages,
I’ve refereed my first adult game and I must say it was a really difficult one it was a real big transition from youth football as I hardly gave yellow cards last season and sin bins
In total I gave three yellow cards but it should of been much more and I feel really red faced and depressed over this and especially disappointed I should of given a yellow to the home player for when he committed a late challenge but I played advantage but I should of came back and yellow carded him for that(not sure what I was thinking)I should of given 2 sin bins too something I’m not really used to as in youth football there wasn’t really any to me I should of given a potential penalty to the home team but There was body’s only the way and then
Wow offsides are so difficult at Open age level as I can’t really judge myself if it’s offside so I have no choice but to go with the club linos decision but overall I think I had a poor game to remember and I just dont feel like refereeing adult football again even though I’m going for promotion it’s just that hard
Game 1 is always difficult, so just put this one down as experience. Not all matches are the same.

First thing is Well Done, secondly identify what you did well in the game - there will be many (correct decisions, the YC you gave) and don't dwell on the other matters.

The important thing for new referees is "Don't repeat your mistakes". You have found a few development areas for yourself already - use of Sin Bins, missed cautions, etc. Have you talked the performance though with your coach or a more experienced official?

I did an observation last week for a referee, same as you, doing his first competitive Adult match. It was very challenging for him (and would have been challenging for a L4 referee with 200+ games). Yes, he made mistakes but we talked it though focusing on how these become development areas rather than problems, and also dealing with the good things from the game (correctly disallowed goal, late 2nd half penalty, 2 * YC, accurate decision making). Hopefully, he was back out this week and enjoyed the game more.

We are all here to help you develop and enjoy refereeing, that why us observers do it - because it not for the money !

@SurreyWolves - were you reffing a home team in yellow / green? Away team had 2 in sin bin - with the second one upgraded as you've described.
I thought the referee in that game handled it well - definitely a tough game, between two teams who clearly don't like each other!
If it was you, I said 'well done referee' as you walked towards the changing rooms at the end.
Crikey!

Small world.

Yes a tough game - but actually the best games tend to be tough as it was competitive. The first half was excellent - but was a tough one to manage!!

I did make one colossal brain fart for a hand ball call half way into a half…. Evidently wrong as soon as I gave it!

But yes - was frustrating - sometimes you can’t manage some players. Hence why the SB is a great tool.

Back