A&H

Same club in a matter of a week or so?

Simple answer to that, nowhere near enough SG1 referees. Kevin Friend now 4th official at Chelsea, but he was refereeing them little more than a week ago.
If they had too many would it not be detrimental to the current officials? I'm sure they don't want to be sitting at home twiddling their thumbs?

The Referee Store
If they had too many would it not be detrimental to the current officials? I'm sure they don't want to be sitting at home twiddling their thumbs?
With VAR they're either going to need more, or accept SG2 officials as VAR or 4th official. Now is absolutely the time they should be giving the best of SG2 their chance in the PL - I've been really impressed by Kavanaugh this season, so the talent could certainly be there.

I've done the same team within 3 weeks on more than one occasion. No big deal for me or them.

If there's been an issue in the previous fixture and the same team comes around again soon enough for you to think it'll affect the/your game then just phone your appointments secretary and ask if you can be moved off it and onto another (this never used to work for @Sheffields Finest obviously since every team in the league hated him anyway ;) :D ).

The only times I find myself refereeing virtually the same players on consecutive Saturdays is if I get the first team one week followed by their Reserves the next. Doesn't happen very often though ... :)

I totally dont mean to shoot down the above but absolutely no way could a SG2 be VAR, for right or wrong, there is such an ego trip amid elite referees' that am sorry, Taylor (has already proved the point at Fulham), Oliver, Atkinson, are simply not going to accept a lowly SG2 officials take on a KMI, that's the harsh reality of it.

SG2 as 4th, yes, indeed, 100% agree, its totally counter productive having Mike Dean as a 4th anywhere, when this role could be better facilitated using up and coming refs who are in line to referee in these stadiums, with these players and these crowds. And who better to learn off than a top elite ref

VAR is best suited to, Mariner for example, coming to end of a respectable career and has been in the exact situations the on field ref will be in, some SG2 who has refereed at Hull City is, with respect to them, going to be instantly fobbed off should he shout "penalty kick" to Micheal Oliver in the league decider.

That (sadly?) is how the chain of command operates.

Last edited:
there is such an ego trip amid elite referees' that am sorry, Taylor (has already proved the point at Fulham), Oliver, Atkinson, are simply not going to accept a lowly SG2 officials take on a KMI, that's the harsh reality of it.

VAR is best suited to, Mariner for example, coming to end of a respectable career and has been in the exact situations the on field ref will be in, some SG2 who has refereed at Hull City is, with respect to them, going to be instantly fobbed off should be shout "penalty kick" to Micheal Oliver in the league decider.

Snobbery, cliques and elitism operating at the higher echelons of our refereeing fraternity Sir? :eek:

Surely not. :rolleyes:

;) :D

I totally dont mean to shoot down the above but absolutely no way could a SG2 be VAR, for right or wrong, there is such an ego trip amid elite referees' that am sorry, Taylor (has already proved the point at Fulham), Oliver, Atkinson, are simply not going to accept a lowly SG2 officials take on a KMI, that's the harsh reality of it.

SG2 as 4th, yes, indeed, 100% agree, its totally counter productive having Mike Dean as a 4th anywhere, when this role could be better facilitated using up and coming refs who are in line to referee in these stadiums, with these players and these crowds. And who better to learn off than a top elite ref

VAR is best suited to, Mariner for example, coming to end of a respectable career and has been in the exact situations the on field ref will be in, some SG2 who has refereed at Hull City is, with respect to them, going to be instantly fobbed off should he shout "penalty kick" to Micheal Oliver in the league decider.

I mean, I don't think you're wrong, but I'm not sure that taking a SG2 referee and rushing through their promotion so that they're eligible to be VAR really makes them any more credible in the eyes of the current SG1! I'm not sure there is an ideal solution really, but they're going to have to consider one of the 3 options - I agree SG2 4th is probably most palatable, but (as per your example), what happens when MO goes down with a torn hamstring 20 minutes into the same title decide and someone has to step in for their first even premiership match?

I mean, I don't think you're wrong, but I'm not sure that taking a SG2 referee and rushing through their promotion so that they're eligible to be VAR really makes them any more credible in the eyes of the current SG1! I'm not sure there is an ideal solution really, but they're going to have to consider one of the 3 options - I agree SG2 4th is probably most palatable, but (as per your example), what happens when MO goes down with a torn hamstring 20 minutes into the same title decide and someone has to step in for their first even premiership match?

When that happens, Manchester United win the first league title for 26 years !!!!!
John Hilditch, my 2nd fav referee of all time !!

The more serious answer though is, probability. How many times does it happen? once a season?
How many times in a game with the inexperienced SG2 VAR be looking to do his thing? 3/4 times per game.

In basic terms, we are doing our game at weekend in middle and our long time trusted ex senior AR is giving us something, we will probably do it without thinking......on the other line is Wee Jimmy on his first ever game...if he tried to give us the exact same call...we would naturally weigh it up very carefully first!

In basic terms, we are doing our game at weekend in middle and our long time trusted ex senior AR is giving us something, we will probably do it without thinking......on the other line is Wee Jimmy on his first ever game...if he tried to give us the exact same call...we would naturally weigh it up very carefully first!

That's a moot point really mate.

For us in England it is anyway.

There are no "Wee Jimmy's" down here. :cool:

Good point, every boys team has a Josh and more so, every girls team has a Olivia !

I actual noticed at weekend, I was too early for my Sunday OA game, so sat in car a bit, windows (and roof!) down, anyways.....players from both team turned up at various points in various cars...they all have the same name too! With the same chat! I swear this happened, one guy approached his mates and was greeted with "hey sh*****" etc, and "take it your not sh******" today and that's why you are here....."

hilarious I know..but then clearly the team stud from the other team gets out a car and is greeted by his pals as "hey sh******, not sh****** today then?" !!!!

every team here has a sh*****, big man, wee man, Tam, Kev, Wullie, Pat and Ginge.

Back