A&H

Sin bins

been thinking about this...and I have some questions....
(1) How many watches do they expect us to wear, in order to keep track of every player that has been given a 10 min sin bin ? 22 ? 30 ? If anyone says there is unlikely to be more than 1 or 2, they've obviously never refereed on Hackney Marshes.
(2) Is anybody going to officiate the bin, while the angry people are squaring up to each other (and the supporters) on the side of the pitch ?
You're making it way too complicated.
Record the card like any other, then write the time they should return to the field of play.
You know whether you've got someone due to return, so just check at each stoppage when you know it's close.

People will square up on the sidelines anyway if they're going to. You just don't put them near each other in the first place when you can avoid it - stick them in different boxes outside their bench.

People love to complain about how badly things are done in other sports and bemoan the changes made to football, but maybe if people paid more attention to what those others do, the changes in football would be a lot less strifeful. VAR is another clear contender in this area.

The Referee Store
The most dissent cautions I have ever had in a game (pre post sin-bin) is 4. And in that game only two would have overlapped for sin bin. Since sin bin I have never had overlapping bin times.

Before it started trialing here we all had concerns it's going to add to our workload and will be hard to manage. The concern disappeared pretty quickly once we started using it.

If a "binned" player shows dissent (whilst binned) is it a second yellow and off or can they be replaced?

My understanding is they would serve a further 10 minutes and then could be replaced at the end of that time period, providing the team hasn't used the maximum number of substitutes.

One question that I do have though is if a sub commits and act of dissent that they are cautioned for, I presume they don't go to the sin bin? And then if they come on, do they get a further two sin bins etc.?

My understanding is they would serve a further 10 minutes and then could be replaced at the end of that time period, providing the team hasn't used the maximum number of substitutes.

One question that I do have though is if a sub commits and act of dissent that they are cautioned for, I presume they don't go to the sin bin? And then if they come on, do they get a further two sin bins etc.?
Normal caution for dissent.

I learned on the presentation night the FA are going to replace the money lost by the CFAs for the dissent cautions for the first year.

Then what?

Does anyone have the presentation?I have been but would like a copy for my reference

1558739104565.pngpg 28

Dissent is still considered a Cautionable (YC) offence, even if the sin-bin system is in place and it's done while in the bin.
1558739287334.pngpg 26

Does anyone have the presentation?I have been but would like a copy for my reference

When that question was asked at my training night, we were told we couldn’t have it (yet) - it was FA copyright and they weren’t allowed to give it (the slides) out.

Which is a shame as most training events do supply you with at least some of the slides to allow you to review them later (good educational practice.). There was a hint that they may be released later.

Over two full seasons (OA only), I've averaged one C2 every three games
I don't feel the need for Sin Bins, but then I don't think I'll be inconvenienced by them either. I will/would be an advocate of the idea if it was likely to make it into the professional game, but then I fancy referees would only sell their soul by ignoring dissent, even more than they do now

Over two full seasons (OA only), I've averaged one C2 every three games
I don't feel the need for Sin Bins, but then I don't think I'll be inconvenienced by them either. I will/would be an advocate of the idea if it was likely to make it into the professional game, but then I fancy referees would only sell their soul by ignoring dissent, even more than they do now

I was hesitant, but after the training course and seeing the stats etc I think it's a good idea, and after a few games won't be too difficult to manage.

I do however agree that it should make it to the professional game. It works perfectly well in rugby, and if it works in grassroots then I don't see any reason, other than monetary ones i.e. club's not wanting to see their million dollar players sitting in the naughty corner for 10 minutes, why this wouldn't work.

I reffed my first game with sin-bins in effect yesterday...first game I’ve heard both managers instructing their players not to ‘argue with the ref’, lads (U16) were as good as gold. It serves as a decent deterrent IMO.

It won't be as effective once the novelty wears off. But we would still be better with it than without it.

It won't be as effective once the novelty wears off. But we would still be better with it than without it.

Can’t see anyone being happy going down to 10/9/8 men regularly, especially when it’s just for being a big mouth. I believe it will get the message across that dissent isn’t acceptable...providing it’s punished on a consistent basis!

Back