A&H

Someone wants to report

Xavier

Hi,
I had a u12 games today girls. There was this one girl who kept swearing at other players I had talked to her and told her to stop. I thought this was enough but she swore again. She then left the pitch and came back on after about 20miniutes after I thought she calmed down. Should I have dealt with this differently? And after the game a parent approached me at told me she wants to put a complaint in. I said no problem and gave her my name should I have not given it?

The Referee Store
There was this one girl who kept swearing at other players I had talked to her and told her to stop. I thought this was enough but she swore again
From what it sounds like to me, you need to consider whether he language was Offensive, Insulting or Abusive, towards yourself or other players. If you think it was, she should have been sent off (S6), and reported to the FA through Whole Game System.

If you didn't believe it met the criteria for the above, but that the player Adopted an Aggressive Attitude, you could've cautioned her for Unsporting Behaviour (C1-AA).

From what you've said, it sounds as though she should have been, at minimum, cautioned, as she was repeatedly being aggressive, and persistently infringing LOTG.

I'll leave someone like Rusty or James to give better advice than me on giving names, as they'll have a much better answer than I will for that.

Hi,
I had a u12 games today girls. There was this one girl who kept swearing at other players I had talked to her and told her to stop. I thought this was enough but she swore again. She then left the pitch and came back on after about 20miniutes after I thought she calmed down. Should I have dealt with this differently? And after the game a parent approached me at told me she wants to put a complaint in. I said no problem and gave her my name should I have not given it?
This is a "You had to be there" question.
If the player continued to use offensive, abusive or insulting language after being told, you had the options of sending her off or telling the coach that the player is close to being sent off.
Regarding the parent, safer not to give your name, just say the league will deal with any complaint so just name the teams.

T
This is a "You had to be there" question.
If the player continued to use offensive, abusive or insulting language after being told, you had the options of sending her off or telling the coach that the player is close to being sent off.
Regarding the parent, safer not to give your name, just say the league will deal with any complaint so just name the teams.
Thank you. I was just in the moment and wanted her to get lost

From what it sounds like to me, you need to consider whether he language was Offensive, Insulting or Abusive, towards yourself or other players. If you think it was, she should have been sent off (S6), and reported to the FA through Whole Game System.

If you didn't believe it met the criteria for the above, but that the player Adopted an Aggressive Attitude, you could've cautioned her for Unsporting Behaviour (C1-AA).

From what you've said, it sounds as though she should have been, at minimum, cautioned, as she was repeatedly being aggressive, and persistently infringing LOTG.

I'll leave someone like Rusty or James to give better advice than me on giving names, as they'll have a much better answer than I will for that.
100% should have been at least a yellow I need to improve with dealing with heated situations. As a 15yr old referee I sometimes feel scared to give cards. What advice would you give to overcome this

100% should have been at least a yellow I need to improve with dealing with heated situations. As a 15yr old referee I sometimes feel scared to give cards. What advice would you give to overcome this
I'm not much older, and I remember I wasn't confident in giving my first card. Probably should've been a red, but I knocked it down to a yellow because I was sacred, so I get the feeling.

Just remember, although it's a U12, these kids are old enough to make their own decisions. For example, if she's old enough to be swearing and using language like that, in an aggersive manner, she's old enough to deal with the consequences.

Take your time, isolate the player, take the name, number and time, follow the steps you were taught on the course and show your card.

As a referee, you can never please everyone, and if something requires a caution, just take the time you need and be confident. Once you've done one or two it'll feel much more natural and easier.

Practice. Might sound silly. But ... Get your card, pen and notepad out and give your mum/dad/sister/brother/dog/close family member/guardian a good old proper booking.

I'm not much older, and I remember I wasn't confident in giving my first card. Probably should've been a red, but I knocked it down to a yellow because I was sacred, so I get the feeling.

Just remember, although it's a U12, these kids are old enough to make their own decisions. For example, if she's old enough to be swearing and using language like that, in an aggersive manner, she's old enough to deal with the consequences.

Take your time, isolate the player, take the name, number and time, follow the steps you were taught on the course and show your card.

As a referee, you can never please everyone, and if something requires a caution, just take the time you need and be confident. Once you've done one or two it'll feel much more natural and easier.
Thank you. This really helps me. Thanks alot

If she refuses to listen to warnings then you have to resort to your cards. Otherwise other players will likely see that she has been warned but carried on doing the same without sanction, and they are then likely to cause you problems.

In terms of being asked for your name, I would suggest a standard response of "speak to the club secretary, he / she have my name as he / she confirmed the game with me" and then just walk off.

I don't know that the OP particularly describes an aggressive manner? I know it's a little bit odd to say given we're referring to U12 girls football, but I've certainly experienced "conversational swearing" before where it's used for punctuation or emphasis rather than for offence.

We can't be overly puritanical. Swearing isn't an offence in-and-of itself, it does need to contain "something else" to get to the level of cards. AA for yellow and OFFINABUS for red are the obvious avenues, but if it's not aggressive and isn't causing offence, you need to have a specific offence in mind before warning, otherwise that's just an idle threat.

I don't know that the OP particularly describes an aggressive manner? I know it's a little bit odd to say given we're referring to U12 girls football, but I've certainly experienced "conversational swearing" before where it's used for punctuation or emphasis rather than for offence.

We can't be overly puritanical. Swearing isn't an offence in-and-of itself, it does need to contain "something else" to get to the level of cards. AA for yellow and OFFINABUS for red are the obvious avenues, but if it's not aggressive and isn't causing offence, you need to have a specific offence in mind before warning, otherwise that's just an idle threat.
I agree with you, and probably should’ve acknowledged that not all swearing warrants a card, I see swearing used in loads of different ways on pitches, and as referees, it’s our job to respond to it accordingly

Hi,

The parent is probably thinking back to the 1980's, when the law was "using Foul or Abusive Language". The use of swearing was sometimes consider to breach this, and players were sent off. However, the law has changed in 40 years so the offence of simply swearing is not a dismissal.

@Xavier - did you do anything wrong? - No, if her swearing was not insulative or abusive,

If she refuses to listen to warnings then you have to resort to your cards. Otherwise other players will likely see that she has been warned but carried on doing the same without sanction, and they are then likely to cause you problems.

In terms of being asked for your name, I would suggest a standard response of "speak to the club secretary, he / she have my name as he / she confirmed the game with me" and then just walk off.
We were actually told by CFA if your over 18 give your name so if they report a incident we can contact you quicker to hear your side and support as needed advised against it under 18 for safe guarding

We were actually told by CFA if your over 18 give your name so if they report a incident we can contact you quicker to hear your side and support as needed advised against it under 18 for safe guarding
An interesting approach, given that the CFA have access to all appointments almost instantaneously.
The OP is under 18, so safer not to give your name (Child Protection)

An interesting approach, given that the CFA have access to all appointments almost instantaneously.
The OP is under 18, so safer not to give your name (Child Protection)
I do a lot of youth games, and most of these are club appointed, so the CFA wouldn’t know who I was unless I told the reporter.
However, I’m definitely over 18! 😂

I’ve not had someone say they’re going to report me at youth level, but have occasionally at OA. I just tell them that the secretary has my name if they want it and leave it at that. No one has ever taken it any further as far as I’m aware.

In our area, if it is a league appointment then the name of the official seems generally to be displayed (and viewable by the general public) on the FA 'Full-Time' web-page for the relevant match. I can't be certain, but I think this is still true even for the youngest (under 18 / under 16) officials.
Obviously this is not necessarily the case for club appointments though, as for those the official's name won't automatically be linked with the match on 'full-time'.

"Your Club Secretary has my details, contact them with your concerns"

Bear in mind that - why are they blaming YOU for some urchin swearing as a first resort? Be mad at the kid and their parents first ffs. Always someone else fault.

CBA with football anymore. Delete my account @RustyRef

I do a lot of youth games, and most of these are club appointed, so the CFA wouldn’t know who I was unless I told the reporter.
However, I’m definitely over 18! 😂

I’ve not had someone say they’re going to report me at youth level, but have occasionally at OA. I just tell them that the secretary has my name if they want it and leave it at that. No one has ever taken it any further as far as I’m aware.
CFA can contact the club, which is why I said "almost instantaneously"
Not a good idea to give the referee's name in such circumstances.

Back