A&H

Strong Gale

Referee117

"No. I think we're just getting started."
Level 7 Referee
Hi all,

Before we start with the Southern softy chat ;) Down in the South West there is currently a considerable gale, I've gone outside to kick a ball and it's gone mental. Now for Senior football, I would say play on. But the two matches I have tomorrow are U13s, so lighter ball, more mental balls everywhere. Forecast shows the gale will still be there at full strength tomorrow. What's everyone's thoughts or experiences on the weather side of things? I've seen mentioned that if the ball does not stay still for free kicks / penalties then it's time to be abandoned.

Thanks in advance.

The Referee Store
I'm betting the games will be called off before you step foot out the door, because it's wind AND rain on its way :(

I'm betting the games will be called off before you step foot out the door, because it's wind AND rain on its way :(

My matches today are the only ones not postponed on full time yet 😂

So this has got me thinking of other scenarios. Now I know that in the situation both teams want to play, the game goes ahead. What happens in the situation where one team does and one team doesn't? As it's not a safety issue, I'm assuming it would be a walkover if the the team who didn't want to play don't field their players?

My matches today are the only ones not postponed on full time yet 😂

So this has got me thinking of other scenarios. Now I know that in the situation both teams want to play, the game goes ahead. What happens in the situation where one team does and one team doesn't? As it's not a safety issue, I'm assuming it would be a walkover if the the team who didn't want to play don't field their players?
It’ll be a walkover against the team which didn’t show and you’ll still get paid.
I’m also in the south west and as of yet, no games in my respective league have been called off. Not looking forward to it though!

There are two reasons for wind causing a game to be called off. One is it makes the game farcical, e.g. ball not remaining still at restarts, goal kicks blowing back into area, etc. The second is player safety, as an example if you are in a region that has extreme weather warnings and there is a tree next to the pitch alarm bells may be ringing. That could also include player safety - I was once doing an inspection for a contrib game in very high wind when I head as shout and a small part of the stand roof had come off onto the terrace. Decision made for me, especially as others had seen it.

Or if you have moveable goals, and they are not permanently secured.

High winds this afternoon next to Leeds airport for my matches.
Never seen a ball kicked so far! Lol

I did a Cup game yesterday evening in high winds. With the score at 1-0 with 15 to go (losing side now playing with the wind) my mind did drift towards the possibility of penalties.

Which end to choose? Have the taker kicking with the wind, or into the wind? Any thoughts?

(Game ended 2-0, so no need for KFTPM, but always good to consider these things from the warmth of one’s kitchen, than in the cold & wet)

I did a Cup game yesterday evening in high winds. With the score at 1-0 with 15 to go (losing side now playing with the wind) my mind did drift towards the possibility of penalties.

Which end to choose? Have the taker kicking with the wind, or into the wind? Any thoughts?

(Game ended 2-0, so no need for KFTPM, but always good to consider these things from the warmth of one’s kitchen, than in the cold & wet)
New laws get you out of having to make that decision - in the absence of any other reason to pick an end or a strong preference from you, toss a coin and leave it up to chance!

It’ll be a walkover against the team which didn’t show and you’ll still get paid.
I’m also in the south west and as of yet, no games in my respective league have been called off. Not looking forward to it though!
It will be a report to the league and the league management committee will make a decision based on the information provided by both clubs. The referee doesn't make the decision.

Back