A&H

SWI-BRA

The Referee Store
That game for me shows exactly why Neymar is living in the shadow of Ronaldo. One takes the game by the scruff of the neck and pushes his country to a huge point. The other does step overs on the half way line, throws himself to the ground at the slightest touch and spends 90% of the game in the pocket of an average ex West Ham midfielder.

It ain't nothing but a heart-breaker
Friend only to the moneymaker
Oh, VAR it's an enemy to all mankind
The point of VAR blows my mind
VAR has caused unrest
Within the FIFA generation
Induction then destruction
Who wants to die, ah, VAR-huh, good god why'all
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Say it, say it, say it
VAR, huh
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing listen to me

(Credit to Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong)

2011 Scotland fans booed Neymar at Emirates in a game v Brazil where he dived all over the place. Scotland, that well known racist outback.
Neymar came out later and moaned he was being picked on because of his colour.
In thay game, he constantly dived and indeed won a penalty in a dubious manner. He then saw a banana on the pitch and accused it of being a racial act by Scotland fans.
It turns out from cctv, it was thrown from seats sold as Brazilian section, and upon investigation, a teenage German was responsible
The SFA asked for an apolgy for the slur. As if anyone reasonable should need to ask. Not only did Neymar refuse to give one, even upon the facts, he said he would not be apologising,
A detestable human being and I honest cant say I can recall him having anything other than an average display any time I have seen him.

I will agree with others that I've seen Neymar play a few times and have never seen what the fuss is about - an average to decent striker who's in no way worth the ridiculous fees and wages he somehow commands.

BUT. He was getting fouled and kicked all over the place last night. Behrami eventually got booked (and was immediately subbed after) for a particularly nasty one, but I think there's an argument for a "team PI" caution or two based on the fact the Swiss made a conscious decision to kick him out of the game, and it worked.

It ain't nothing but a heart-breaker
Friend only to the moneymaker
Oh, VAR it's an enemy to all mankind
The point of VAR blows my mind
VAR has caused unrest
Within the FIFA generation
Induction then destruction
Who wants to die, ah, VAR-huh, good god why'all
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Say it, say it, say it
VAR, huh
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing listen to me

(Credit to Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong)
Respect! Had the original on in the car the other day very loud (extended Psychedelic Shack fest). Top hole!

A lot to do with understanding "what is a clear and obvious error?". So far it has been inconsistent with the few VAR reviews (or no reviews). This was one of the biggest problems when HAL started using VAR as well. IFAB/FIFA can do with a clear and concise definition of what "clear and obvious error" means. At the moment all we have to go by is "was the decision clearly wrong?" Very subjective and it changes from referee to referee and from VAR to VAR.

On the incident, yes there was a push, I would deem it as careless, all it would take for the VAR to think "there was blatant push, it was quite possibly careless, but that doesn't make it a clear and obvious error for a review".

It was way more than careless, he saw that the defender might have headed it you moved him out of the way. That was cheating, plain and simple, and should have been penalised.

It was way more than careless, he saw that the defender might have headed it you moved him out of the way. That was cheating, plain and simple, and should have been penalised.
I don't disagree with you on it being a foul. Just trying to find a plausible explanation for it.

However, anything 'way more than careless' has to be reckless or excessive force or at least USB in a different way. If you are saying this was a yellow or red card offence, I disagree with you 100%.

I don't disagree with you on it being a foul. Just trying to find a plausible explanation for it.

However, anything 'way more than careless' has to be reckless or excessive force or at least USB in a different way. If you are saying this was a yellow or red card offence, I disagree with you 100%.

No, I'm not. But equally if you are saying that it has to be more than careless for have a successful review are you also saying that only cautionable or red card offences can be reviewed? That doesn't sound right, a clear trip in the penalty area can be a genuinely attempt to play the ball and therefore nothing more than careless, but can still presumably be reviewed by VAR and a penalty given?

No, I'm not. But equally if you are saying that it has to be more than careless for have a successful review are you also saying that only cautionable or red card offences can be reviewed? That doesn't sound right, a clear trip in the penalty area can be a genuinely attempt to play the ball and therefore nothing more than careless, but can still presumably be reviewed by VAR and a penalty given?
No. I am saying it has to be clearly careless. Without a doubt that is and not just on "I think it's careless but it's possible another referee may not see it that way". It all goes back to the definition of clear and obvious error which ironically is not clear itself.

Last edited:
The VAR can instigate a review on any "goal-related" event.
Depends what you mean by instigate. VAR can suggest it. CR can either initiate it or reject the suggestion. It is quite possible on this incident the VAR suggested it and CR just rejected it based on what he had seen live.

Back