A&H

Team of 3/4 - Warm Up ...

You're an AR, going for awarm up and the ref goes out with his socks rolled down, do you...

• Ask the ref if he is pulling the socks up, and follow his decision ...

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Keep your socks up, sod the ref!

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • Roll the socks down, looking like a team is important!

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • TELL the ref to pull his socks up

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

Charlie Jones

Work Until You Don't Have To Introduce Yourself
Had this come up and last nights society meeting ...

I've listed the 4 main responses people gave ...

answer and discuss ...

The Referee Store
A politer version of option 3 for me. At my level, we're not all wearing the same warm up kit, so socks up/down not that important!

Agree you should look like a team but the referee is the official and gives the instructions you follow his lead...as with the warm up if he says jump you say how high! Whilst you may need to stretch certain muscles and the ref others on the pitch the same routine should be followed and other stretches done in the dressing room.

Agree you should look like a team but the referee is the official and gives the instructions you follow his lead...as with the warm up if he says jump you say how high! Whilst you may need to stretch certain muscles and the ref others on the pitch the same routine should be followed and other stretches done in the dressing room.

From my experience referee will want you to do warm up jog together and shuttles, but then you're free to do own stretches after that.

At Championship level, I've seen ARs do their own warm up (usually sprints along their own line) after the main warm up of the team.

Love this, great answer for me ... Referee is that team leader so I'll mirror him

I'm with Brian. It aint a fashion parade. I also think ref should pull his socks up. But im not going to tell him that.

I'll be honest with you... For junior football, I will often warm up as I do the pitch inspection. I will take a ball out with me and run around - I do so with my socks pushed down. Once my warm up is out of the way and I make my way inside for my final preparations, that's when I pull my socks up. I don't wear my Referee top when I warm up; I wear badged warm-up clothes (t shirt and jumper/jacket). It's my chance to warm up and I do so it comfort :)

If I'm someone's assistant, I will do as the referee asks. It is his/her trainset on the day.

Last edited:
I wear my socks however they're most comfortable to me - priority is minimising distractions from doing a good job over the incredibly minor difference that looking like a team might generate. And that includes doing a good job of the warm up.

If the referee specifically asks me to do something then I will, but I'm not keen on butting into how the ref or the other assistant choose to feel most comfortable. And I think that aside from looking smart for 2 minutes as we walk out and do the respect handshake, that's how I'll continue to think when I'm leading teams of 3 or 4.

I always, always warned up with my socks rolled down. Reason was that it was often muddy, and when the game started I would rather have muddy legs underneath my clean black socks than muddy socks over my clean legs once I lead the teams out of the tunnel.

That's interesting from a level 4 @Darius - considering your level puts you out with NAR's on a weekly basis ... lets flip it so you are the ref and one of your AR's goes out with socks' rolled down for the warm up ...

do you ask him then to kindly pull up his socks?

its also the first impression the crowd get of the officials, and most of the players ...

we've been categorically told by the CFA Chairman that he expects socks to be pulled up, boots immaculate - and the shirts tucked in bit for the warm up isn't a problem as we have got to wear our Nike warm up jackets - but then for the game he expects shirts to be tucked in.

So you can have a shirt untucked for a warm up but you have to wear your socks up? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back