A&H

The Heat

Something else worth a mention.... there's about a 5% chance of 40 degrees again in a couple of weeks time 🤪

The Referee Store
I suppose football will probably be OK by 7pm Tues but I'll still be swerving it
I think you're wrong with your media quote however. I did Meteorology at Uni and I'm entirely satisfied that 'this' is not just media hype
The chances of it hitting 40 degrees are around 60% according to the latest modelling, Relatively speaking, that would amount to SMASHING the record

The science is saying we're in big trouble. Almost factual. Yes the Media love it, but it stems from the science and the maths is incontrovertible
Met office still saying 35c though - I think my media remark comes from the utterly ridiculous stories you get on the internet.

All winter there were 'stories' about heavy snow in London, never happened.

I think now there are several weather organisations around the media tend to choose whichever one predicts the most extreme weather.

At least we got through this without mentioning the P word ........................ precipitation! :p

Now having said all that, my game this morning - OA friendly line on astro, KO 10.00am, was quite hot enough thank you very much!:cool:

Yes, I recall that for a red warning to be issued, the likelihood of the event (weather) happening must exceed 90%
That doesn't mean a 90% chance of 40+ degrees however, 'the event' is 'risk to life' which is a function of such things as the 'wet bulb temperature' which dictates how effectively the body can lose heat through sweating. Anyway, we're in agreement

There's so much latent heat in the body of air on it's way that sweating won't be effective, regardless of whether the dry bulb hits 40+
Although 'red warnings' for heat were only introduced a few years ago, the severity of the weather being predicted is historic. I'd estimate in my 48 years, equivalent warnings specifically covering the location in which I live, would probably only have been given on a couple of occasions. Even on a National, they're only intended to be reserved for weather that might only happen a couple of times in a decade
In a nutshell, these red warnings are intended to be a 'serious business' and have nowt to do with media hype

Normally, @PinnerPaul and I are two peas in a pod, but not when it comes to the weather.... seemingly 🌤️
Fair enough, but why on the actual met office forecasts are they predicting a peak of 'only' 37C?

Back in 2019 I asked a similar question when the temperature as forecast to hit the high 30s.

I remember plenty of people poo-pooing me and saying that they wouldn’t cancel a game if it was too hot…

I asked my RDO if there was a policy on high temperatures at the time, he said he’d look into it but I never heard anything back.

A pal o'mine in A&E til 5am tother night cos his boy split his knee open on summer ground
Maybe if we stopped pandering to groundsmen and all the hype associated with rain, we wouldn't be destined towards football becoming a summer game. Just sayin like
On a serious note, as a 'stopper', I hated playing footy on summer ground and have never been a massive fan of hot weather
Gimme a freezing wet & windy day in January every day of the week. That honestly is my preference (yes, it may be difficult to tell when I'm being serious or not). The way footy should be

Last edited:
They're not, as far as I can tell - they're forecasting 40°C.

One of the first pages I find if I search for "Met Office UK forecast" is the following.

View attachment 5767
That's my point Peter, yet check the actual forecast for Central London, pretty good guess for hottest place, and midday temp on Monday is forecast at 'only' 37C. Its the same with any probable hottest place location you come up with. Actual forecast 37, lets call it 40 and get everyone to click on the article. Its the way of the world now I'm sorry to say.

A pal o'mine in A&E til 5am tother night cos his boy split his knee open on summer ground
Maybe if we stopped pandering to groundsmen and all the hype associated with rain, we wouldn't be destined towards football becoming a summer game. Just sayin like
On a serious note, as a 'stopper', I hated playing footy on summer ground and have never been a massive fan of hot weather
Gimme a freezing wet & windy day in January every day of the week. That honestly is my preference (yes, it may be difficult to tell when I'm being serious or not). The way footy should be
We're back in agreement there, never been totally convinced why frozen ground is considered more dangerous than baked hard ground.

That's my point Peter, yet check the actual forecast for Central London, pretty good guess for hottest place, and midday temp on Monday is forecast at 'only' 37C. Its the same with any probable hottest place location you come up with. Actual forecast 37, lets call it 40 and get everyone to click on the article. Its the way of the world now I'm sorry to say.

London no longer going to be the hottest place, the North of England now predicted to cop it the worst ...

1658062301447.png

I accepted a line for tomorrow a few weeks ago - not massively happy about that decision now! Checked with the ref this morning and he described it as "still on as far as I know" which....doesn't sound like someone who's going to make the call to cancel.

I accepted a line for tomorrow a few weeks ago - not massively happy about that decision now! Checked with the ref this morning and he described it as "still on as far as I know" which....doesn't sound like someone who's going to make the call to cancel.
It's always your own call though mate. It you aren't comfortable then you ways reserve right to come off game.
I know we hate to do it but if you have concerns for your health and safety then give it a pass. End of day its a PSF so far worse games to turn down and come off.

nothing beats football in the rain, love it

I was offered a line tomorrow evening (OA friendly) but for genuine (non heat) reasons I couldn't do it, bit annoyed I couldn't at the time, because I did one at the same club last week and it was a good game - looks a fortuitous set of circumstances now!

I this morning managed one lap of local park, instead of the usual three
No idea how even top athetes far less a pub player will manage a game

I hear most friendlies scheduled for tomorrow night are being postponed. Although temps will probably have dropped to relatively high/normal levels, the NHS would benefit from an absence of hard ground injuries. For that reason, if I had a game, I'd be suggesting postponement

I’ve got a friendly at Torquay tomorrow evening. I’m 4th man so have minimal (if any) running to do but I’m still not too keen on the heat! God help the man in the middle! 😂

I certainly think if I were in the middle I'd be phoning the club today and saying "if temperatures match the forecasts, we won't be playing tomorrow" and therefore giving them the chance to call it early. But I think I can handle a line if they insist on playing, so will see how we go.

Back