A&H

The Heat

The Referee Store
Count the seconds between the thunder and lightning multiply by 340 and you'll know how faraway it is in metres.
Rules of thumb is seek shelter if it's less than 6 miles away (roughly 30 second gap), you then shelter for 30 minutes (longer if there's more lightning)

Count the seconds between the thunder and lightning multiply by 340 and you'll know how faraway it is in metres.
Rules of thumb is seek shelter if it's less than 6 miles away (roughly 30 second gap), you then shelter for 30 minutes (longer if there's more lightning)
I mentored at a youth game 3 seasons ago; thunder, lightning, close by, so both coaches shouted "Come off for a while, ref"
The young referee sensibly agreed - and the coaches ushered their young charges under nearby trees (dressing rooms 150 metres away)
I got soaked as I went across with words of advice🙄

I mentored at a youth game 3 seasons ago; thunder, lightning, close by, so both coaches shouted "Come off for a while, ref"
The young referee sensibly agreed - and the coaches ushered their young charges under nearby trees (dressing rooms 150 metres away)
I got soaked as I went across with words of advice🙄
The irony. Stop playing ref for safety.
Proceed to seek shelter under trees... 🤷

Any lightening and we're in the changing rooms pronto. Simple as that
I'm sure the FA mandated that following the death of a youth player a year or two ago

Any lightening and we're in the changing rooms pronto. Simple as that
I'm sure the FA mandated that following the death of a youth player a year or two ago

yes

its not really a referee debate, its basic common sense. ( not talking lightning clearly away in the hills), but, any shred of doubt at all

I’m surprised there isn’t a standard rule. In the US the general rule is that if you see it or hear it you stop and clear the field, regardless of how close it is. (There can be significant jumps in distance between strikes.) And you wait for 30 minutes from the last strike to go back out.

rules can be different in places that actually have more sophisticated monitoring systems. (Which i believe are more common in the parts of the country where thunderstorms are common.

Just saw stories in the pape—great sympathies to y‘all dealing with the heat wave. I saw that the UK all time high was shattered with 104 F. While we expect to hit that a few times each summer where I am, it’s a totally different thing to be somewhere built with those temps in mind than somewhere it isn’t expected. Hope you are all doing well and staying healthy.

Difficult one, if you refereed in somewhere like Norway and took players off at the first case of any lightning you'd be doing it a lot, storms can come from absolutely nowhere there. There probably should be guidance from each national authority.

Just saw stories in the pape—great sympathies to y‘all dealing with the heat wave. I saw that the UK all time high was shattered with 104 F. While we expect to hit that a few times each summer where I am, it’s a totally different thing to be somewhere built with those temps in mind than somewhere it isn’t expected. Hope you are all doing well and staying healthy.
Caused a few problems. Several grass fires, including quite a few in London which is very much unprecedented. Seemingly 31 houses destroyed in London if the press are to be believed.

Predictably it fecked the transport system nationally, but then again a slight breeze could do that 😂

Conspiracy theorists are very much active on social media saying it didn't actually happen and the government made it up to scare people 😂

It won't reach 40c, that's just the media doing what the media do. Top temp in Harrow forecast as 34C currently. Rotherham will be 33c for KO, dropping to 28C during the match on Monday Met Office says. Still too hot for football at that level, especially if any of the pitch still in the sun.
It hit 40c near Heathrow - Luckily I was not silly enough to accept any games!

Yep hold my hands up, BUT I thought it 'hit' over 40C in one place in the UK according to this (BBC)

"Thermometers hit 40.3C at Coningsby in Lincolnshire, while 33 other locations went past the UK's previous highest temperature of 38.7C, set in 2019."

Of course record temps and all that, but still not quite on a par with how some media outlets reported it, reference a well know tabloid's front page headline a week later "Heat wave after wave" :rolleyes:

Yep hold my hands up, BUT I thought it 'hit' over 40C in one place in the UK according to this (BBC)

"Thermometers hit 40.3C at Coningsby in Lincolnshire, while 33 other locations went past the UK's previous highest temperature of 38.7C, set in 2019."

Of course record temps and all that, but still not quite on a par with how some media outlets reported it, reference a well know tabloid's front page headline a week later "Heat wave after wave" :rolleyes:
Smashing the record by 1.6C is very newsworthy. I'm don't think you appreciate how exceptional this is/was
I recognize it may not seem that significant to the layman and it is just a single weather event. I'm also with you WRT how the Media overplay everything... but on this occasion, it's a 'boy cried wolf scenario' because the reporting was justified

Smashing the record by 1.6C is very newsworthy. I'm don't think you appreciate how exceptional this is/was
I appreciate it may not seem that significant to the layman and it is just a single weather event. I'm also with you WRT how the Media overplay things... but on this occasion, it's a 'boy cried wolf scenario' because the reporting was justified
Fair enough, 'records are there to be broken' as the old saying goes.

Obviously, the highest, driest, wettest, fastest etc etc etc are always 'exceptional'

Certainly in my neck of the woods it truly has been an exceptionally dry July. Straying into Gardener's World land but its the first time ever my mature ferns have ever wilted because of the lack of rain.

Fair enough, 'records are there to be broken' as the old saying goes.

Obviously, the highest, driest, wettest, fastest etc etc etc are always 'exceptional'

Certainly in my neck of the woods it truly has been an exceptionally dry July. Straying into Gardener's World land but its the first time ever my mature ferns have ever wilted because of the lack of rain.

i planted some ferns last year and they've totally died off...will they come back next year or are they gonners?!

slightly off topic... :D

i planted some ferns last year and they've totally died off...will they come back next year or are they gonners?!

slightly off topic... :D
Maybe, the older plants are the better the chance of coming back, even so don't dig them up just yet - regards Monty :cool:

• Love
Reactions: es1
37C forecast for Saturday where I live. Begs the question, at what temperature do games get postponed?

Back