A&H

The Heat

37C forecast for Saturday where I live. Begs the question, at what temperature do games get postponed?
Only 36c here;), 33c on Sunday (Have an U15s ISFA line).

However that, of course , prompts one on line news outlet to headline " UK edging towards hottest day EVER again"

Read the actual article and the Met Office says record temperatures will NOT be reached :cool: :rolleyes:

The Referee Store
37C forecast for Saturday where I live. Begs the question, at what temperature do games get postponed?
That I'd like to know as thats the temp for my game on Sat which is on a 3G pitch. Only way to stop the feet from burning is by putting talc/baby powder on my feet to stop the heat transfer.

With my game on Sunday being an ISFA game (Independent Schools FA) I'm wondering if they might cancel the games (4 on Saturday and 4 on Sunday).

Just have to wait and see I guess.

That I'd like to know as thats the temp for my game on Sat which is on a 3G pitch. Only way to stop the feet from burning is by putting talc/baby powder on my feet to stop the heat transfer.
If that's happening the game needs calling off, some pitches have watering systems which can help. The temperature of a 3G can be nearly double the air temperature.

Wouldn't like to be inhaling the melting rubber crumb smell either.

I'm not averse to risk, but 35C+ (bit of an arbitrary number) should equate to 'postpone'
If I'm snoozing under a tree instead of prowling the savannah, footballers should be having a few jars watching Soccer Saturday IMO

• Love
Reactions: Kes
I'm not averse to risk, but 35C+ (bit of an arbitrary number) should equate to 'postpone'
If I'm snoozing under a tree instead of prowling the savannah, footballers should be having a few jars watching Soccer Saturday IMO
If your game is cancelled due to heat then surely that applies to the pro game too? There'll be nay Soccer Saturday.

• Haha
Cornwall never gets the highs of elsewhere in the country but forecast for 31C at my game this weekend.
This may be one of my final posts before my funeral. 💀

• Haha
I stupidly agreed to do a double header friendly on Saturday afternoon...

I am going to contact the manager and ask if they want to do it in the morning instead as it is going to be silly-hot. However - it will be a perfect opportunity to top up the lobster-red tan!!

If your game is cancelled due to heat then surely that applies to the pro game too? There'll be nay Soccer Saturday.
I think the Risk Assessment would be different for a pro-game. The players are elite athletes for one thing and possibly climate conditioned

I'm sure anyone of a 'medical persuasion' would be quite forthright in recommending that amateur games should have a limit on the temperature at which it's no longer safe to play. The adage relating claim and blame will dictate that the FA will blanket postpone games if and when the Met Office warning turns RED. That might be the line in the sand, but I ain't sure in today's world

IT's OK, FA have said we should consider 'wellbeing breaks'
Assuming they must be the same as 'water breaks', except everyone can also talk about their problems at home etc 🙄
But only if the competition permits...

IT's OK, FA have said we should consider 'wellbeing breaks'
Assuming they must be the same as 'water breaks', except everyone can also talk about their problems at home etc 🙄

The laws allow cooling breaks , if competition rules permit, which are, in law, distinct from water breaks and can have a 1.5 to 3 minute duration.

I'll suggest water, cooling and wellbeing breaks to the Ref
Actually, my game is on 4G so we'll wait'n'see if it's on. Glad I ain't in the middle. I fancy a 0-0 stroll

I’ve reffed games that have reached 100F on fake fields. A couple of times I have seen players have the glue on their boots soften and the sole start flapping . . .

But only if the competition permits...

Surely the 'health and safety' of the players supercedes competition rules! Surely there's nobody stupid enough to criticise referees for water breaks in 35 degree heat because its not in comp rules. Good luck to anyone pulling me up on that!

Absolutely melted on the line last night. Had some haribo starmix in my pocket and the egg/spaceship ones have done a proper mischief.
Perhaps that should become the official cut off criteria?

I just went for a 3 mile plod and it was not fun... Not sure step 6 and above will postpone. Perhaps will leave it to club discretions.
Definitely the right thing to do for County Leagues
The F.A. won't know what to do. Can't recall Pyramid Games ever taking place in 100 degree wall to wall sun
Personally, I think they should be called off. Especially artificial surfaces. I'd even have my doubts about the Elite game as there are other aspects to consider. It's a difficult one. On balance, I'd lean towards cancelling below Step 2

Only saving grace is that it's Continental air with a breeze... albeit a hot breeze 🤠

Last edited:
Back