A&H

Timekeeping Error

JamesL

RefChat Addict
Level 3 Referee
Screenshot_20240305-091429.png

Interested in what folks think is the correct outcome for this question...

The Referee Store
The one thing they can not do is play 50 minutes second half. I know that.

I used to believe the correct answer is that there is nothing they can do, but now I believe it to be that they can come out and play 5 minutes facing the same way they were original, then stop the game, turn teams around and restart with kick off.

It's a good question to know the answer to, but one you should never, ever find yourself in a position to need to know the answer to.

Well.. it's just tough isn't it?

It's not agreed on between all 3 parties (referee and both teams) before the match, and cannot change anything once they've left the field of play.

Just means the second half will be 5 minutes longer than the first, with the teams putting in a protest to the competition, is my thought.

I had the same thought when doing this month's LOTG quiz for Observers.
I cannot find any IFAB confirmation, but as you have an open Hotline to IFAB. . . 🤔
Anyone can email them, but as you wish...

I have emailed them... I will hold off on the reply as I am genuinely interested in what people think should happen.

Be good if anyone can point to any laws/rules/circulars that have the answer...

Happened in League 2, just three years ago.

Referee Alan Young & his colleagues had a brain fade, coming back out after half time, finishing a 4 of minutes of the first half then restarting the 2H.

Young, who doubles as the Chief Executive of the Bedfordshire FA, may have saved him?

Happened in League 2, just three years ago.

Referee Alan Young & his colleagues had a brain fade, coming back out after half time, finishing a 4 of minutes of the first half then restarting the 2H.

Young, who doubles as the Chief Executive of the Bedfordshire FA, may have saved him?

Yes. We discussed it here:

I was surprised to find that I started the thread!! 😂

But that doesn't make it right in law and I am curious as to how others would have answered the question.

I had the same thought when doing this month's LOTG quiz for Observers.
I cannot find any IFAB confirmation, but as you have an open Hotline to IFAB. . . 🤔
I believe the answer given was that the referee should restart the half (in order to play the outstanding 5 mins) then blow, and (after a suitable break - presumably not exceeding 15 mins?) do a normal 45 minute second half!! I found the answer a bit daft tbh since doing that equates to simply having a 50 minute second half in real terms ... :confused:

Edit to add: To be fair, the question posed suggests it's only the ref who has realised - that being the case maybe just keep shtum and get home 5 minutes earlier ... ? 🤔 :p

I believe the answer given was that the referee should restart the half (in order to play the outstanding 5 mins) then blow, and (after a suitable break - presumably not exceeding 15 mins?) do a normal 45 minute second half!! I found the answer a bit daft tbh since doing that equates to simply having a 50 minute second half in real terms ... :confused:

Edit to add: To be fair, the question posed suggests it's only the ref who has realised - that being the case maybe just keep shtum and get home 5 minutes earlier ... ? 🤔 :p
I think the idea behind not having a 50 minute second half is that if, for example, the pitch has a big slope or the wind is strong in one direction, by playing 1 half longer than the other you're benefitting one team.

The one thing they can not do is play 50 minutes second half. I know that.

I used to believe the correct answer is that there is nothing they can do, but now I believe it to be that they can come out and play 5 minutes facing the same way they were original, then stop the game, turn teams around and restart with kick off.

It's a good question to know the answer to, but one you should never, ever find yourself in a position to need to know the answer to.

Not the exact situation, but a similar one in a pre season friendly at the start of this season.

Step 3/4 club, I was AR.

Photographer was taken ill around 7 minutes before half time. Defib taken to him and both teams medical staff called to treat him.

Play continued for a couple of minutes before the severity of the situation was realised and referee alerted.

Play stopped and early half time called.

Teams came back out after and played the first 5 minutes facing the original goals, then swapped over.

Chap was ok in the end, happy to report.

My initial thought on what I would do in the OP situation is to just play the 45 of the second half. Nothing added on to bring the first half up to the 45 minutes. This was me remembering law states something like this - The referee must not compensate for a timekeeping error during the first half by changing the length of the second half.

Which is the actual wording.

But I would completely understand playing the remainder of the first half at the start of the second half then switching ends.

Last edited:
These hypothetical questions about when you have done something serious (non-recoverable) wrong and there is no way back; they don't really have a correct answer. The best thing is doing something that can make some sort of sense, and doesn't make a wrong further wrong, report it and let the comp authorities handle it.

Similarly, let's say you send someone off in the 5th minute. Both teams score two goals and just after you blow half time you realize the sent off player never left the field of play. He didn't score any of the goals but no idea about his other involvements. What now?

Another one is the good old 3 yellow send off with a lot of variations that the law doesn't cover. What do you do after the third yellow realising it's the third?

View attachment 7184

Interested in what folks think is the correct outcome for this question...
Two possible answers, I think:
1. If within the NLS structure, then you have to go and play the extra 5 mins; then turn around and play the 2nd half.
2. At grassroots, either do above or play 40 mins 2nd hlf.

These hypothetical questions about when you have done something serious (non-recoverable) wrong and there is no way back; they don't really have a correct answer. The best thing is doing something that can make some sort of sense, and doesn't make a wrong further wrong, report it and let the comp authorities handle it.

Similarly, let's say you send someone off in the 5th minute. Both teams score two goals and just after you blow half time you realize the sent off player never left the field of play. He didn't score any of the goals but no idea about his other involvements. What now?

Another one is the good old 3 yellow send off with a lot of variations that the law doesn't cover. What do you do after the third yellow realising it's the third?
I think you're more on my wavelength. Would you expect any of these scenarios to appear in a LOTG quiz? 😁

Reactions: one
Two possible answers, I think:
1. If within the NLS structure, then you have to go and play the extra 5 mins; then turn around and play the 2nd half.
2. At grassroots, either do above or play 40 mins 2nd hlf.
Both sensible but would be considered errors in law.

I think you're more on my wavelength. Would you expect any of these scenarios to appear in a LOTG quiz? 😁
I am also on the same wavelength as you on that question. Especially if it's a multi-choice quiz. The only correct answer would be "non of the above".

Would anyone consider bringing the teams back as soon as you realize the error and playing the final 5 minutes of the first half. Then giving the half time break as previously agreed. Then starting second half? This would be more correct in law than playing the second half immediately after the 5. You would only have a long break in first half not justifiable in law.

I answered this incorrectly in the quiz. I don’t agree with the correct answer and it doesn’t state how long of the half time interval has lapsed.
The things that stand out to me is that it should be two equal half’s and half time interval should not exceed 15 minutes.
The correct answer in the quiz suggests playing the 5 minutes after the interval without swapping half’s…

So we blow and have another interval?

Would anyone consider bringing the teams back as soon as you realize the error and playing the final 5 minutes of the first half. Then giving the half time break as previously agreed. Then starting second half? This would be more correct in law than playing the second half immediately after the 5. You would only have a long break in first half not justifiable in law.
Pretty much what I wrote (and in accordance with what answer the LOTG quiz gave) but a half time interval of more than 15 mins is incorrect in law.

It's a strange one though as I've seen (more than once) a question about an indirect free kick taken and scored directly from when the referee has forgot to raise his hand to signal that it was indirect.

I presumed originally that the answer would be goal kick as the free kick is indirect whether the referee forgot to signal it or not, but the answer is that you would retake the indirect free kick.

Last edited:
It's a strange one though as I've seen (more than once) a question about an indirect free kick taken and scored directly from when the referee has forgot to raise his hand to signal that it was indirect.

I presume originally that the answer would be goal kick as the free kick is indirect whether the referee forgot to signal it or not, but the answer is that you would retake the indirect free kick.
One of those strange hypothetical ones. Fact is, if you don't raise your arm, then it ain't an IDFK and therefore not a goal kick but a goal. (You'd still only be incorrect in law once). :D

Back