A&H

Turkish Referee Halil Umet Meler punched by club president

Status
Not open for further replies.
TFF have suspended fixtures but what else can they do?
Something similar in England would result in a police case, notwithstanding many more useless FA "initiatives".

People reciprocate what they see in the big leagues, behaviour has to change from the top. That includes the media's obsession over simple mistakes, or managers (cough Arteta) making a blame show out of every game that doesn't go their way.

It truly is astonishing how quickly this gets swept under the carpet, this wasn't that long ago.

A few weeks ago, FIVE assault cases were filed by referees on one singular day. I hope they get the book thrown at them - prison for the perpetrators and automatic relegation.

The Referee Store
What has to happen here is the person involved is given a prison term and a lifetime ban from football.

Make an example of him and it won't happen again.
It wasn't just the Club President!! At the very least there was one other person (guy in the brown coat) who kicked the referee in the face when he was on the ground. Shocking cowardly behaviour.

Just thinking about things like dissent etc.

We need to see from the top down referees dealing with dissent early on.
If games end up being 9v9 who gives a crap, excuse language.
Yes referees may get abuse still from Joe Bloggs on social media for "ruining" the game but, in my opinion, it's the players ruining the game for everyone at the top as they're meant to be the role models.
Players need to come out and say refs jobs are hard, it's not their fault etc but even when they're being interviewed, they criticise the refs without actually saying things straight like "he was awful", led on by the presenters. Players could literally say "yeah, he missed a foul but it happens, I missed a one on one, but you've not asked me what I think about that, why's that?".

Cards come out in the PL, they'll start to happen more in the parks.
We don't need statements like "last week's ref" or "they get away with it in the prem"...

It wasn't just the Club President!! At the very least there was one other person (guy in the brown coat) who kicked the referee in the face when he was on the ground. Shocking cowardly behaviour.

I was about to post the video which shows the kick.... Should be prison for them both.

Ankaragucu v Rizespor

As a number of people have said, you could see something like this occurring from a mile away. Society in general seems to despise anyone in a form of authority these days.

That said, broadcasters and social media have to take a large portion of the blame. Broadcasters put on these so called 'experts' to give their opinions. Opinions that are generally a load of waffle, which then gets into the brains of the viewers.

I think I read somewhere that the offender is also a politician.......

I'm sure he will probably get a lifetime ban, but I'd also be deducting points from the club. I know people will say it's not their fault, but I feel this is the only way people will begin to learn.
I would propose a minimum 10 point deduction for the club. 1 point to take the point away from the draw (this can’t be a forfeit because the game did officially end), and an additional 9 points. I’d support up to a 22 point deduction (so 7 games). The club punishment has to be severe enough to deter future actions like this.

I don’t buy the whole ‘it’s not fair to punish a whole club including the fans for the actions of one or 2 individuals with points deductions, relegations etc’
It’s the best way to get the message across and besides how far do you take that? Nobody says it’s not fair to punish the fans by relegating them because their team is sh*t…

I don’t buy the whole ‘it’s not fair to punish a whole club including the fans for the actions of one or 2 individuals with points deductions, relegations etc’
It’s the best way to get the message across and besides how far do you take that? Nobody says it’s not fair to punish the fans by relegating them because their team is sh*t…
Agreed

I think its different if it were fans who had done it, as I guess anyone could pretend to support a certain club to get them into trouble. But when club staff/officials/players are involved, they need to take a tough stance. And if it means points deductions or relegations, so be it. Maybe they'll consider who they hire next time.....

It doesn't change the unacceptable behaviour, but intriguing why the president was so angry with the referee and the 97th minute equaliser, a legitimate goal with no apparent controversy, clearly onside. The game finished 10 a side, with each side receiving a second yellow red card which looked correct in law.

Presumably it was the home president.

The second red card was great (and was for the away team’s most annoying diving player). And as you say basic good goal. We don’t see the stoppages in the second half.

So sad for the referee, his colleagues and family. Really can’t imagine. I hope the bodies come down hard on the actors here.

It is the blooming club president.

They are co-hosting the euros.

Turkiye FA should be absolutely hammering Ankara in this one.

What happened with the attempted storm of the VAR room by Corinthian staff?

Mourinho only got 4 games for his actions.

De Zerbi escapes any punishment for normalising not liking referees.

There is criticising refereeing, that's fine, but waiting in a car park for them, or stating you don't like them, where is the need.

Last edited:
It is the blooming club president.

They are co-hosting the euros.

Turkiye FA should be absolutely hammering Ankara in this one.

What happened with the attempted storm of the VAR room by Corinthian staff?

Mourinho only got 4 games for his actions.

De Zerbi escapes any punishment for normalising not liking referees.

There is criticising refereeing, that's fine, but waiting in a car park for them, or stating you don't like them, where is the need.
Couldn't agree more.

I did mention the De Zerbi thing being an issue in a previous thread. These people in high profile positions do not realise that their actions and words do actually carry some weight in society.......

Couldn't agree more.

I did mention the De Zerbi thing being an issue in a previous thread. These people in high profile positions do not realise that their actions and words do actually carry some weight in society.......
For many people, they fill a role model position.

Even the Matt Miazga undisclosed fine and a three match ban is so low for the message it is sending out.

I would like a world in which if a club official, fans or player assualts an official or is deemed to be inciting violence against an official, the club, fans and everyone should be quaking over the absolute world wind they are about to be hit with.

My understanding is that charges have been filed against the club president, and he is currently in custody.

As for what the TFF could do, they could absolutely ban the president for life, and remove his ability to have any association with sanctioned football in the country -- that would require him to dispossess the club.

Depressing to see the response on most of social media - most are saying 'he deserved it, referees are all ****e/biased/corrupt/look funny so I don't like 'em.' Has it gotten worse recently or has every match always come with accusations of corruption?

Depressing to see the response on most of social media - most are saying 'he deserved it, referees are all ****e/biased/corrupt/look funny so I don't like 'em.' Has it gotten worse recently or has every match always come with accusations of corruption?
Those accusations have pretty much always been a part of Turkish football. There have been other countries like Italy and Greece where those accusations have been a part of things. It’s really only been the last few years where other countries have piled on. Needless to say, the social media echo chamber has desensitized many people and caused their ability to think logically and reasonably to plummet.

For their faults, ref support have suggested in the past a ref walkout.
Maybe it's time refs done it worldwide.
If no games, players professionally may stand up and say we need to sort this out.
Tougher punishments needed for managers and players who moan in press conferences.
Pundits need to stop trying to belittle refs.
Sky sports etc need to stop having former refs in the studio analysing and saying they got decisions wrong. All that does is cause even more hysteria online about referees.

Something has to happen for it to stopped or brought back under control.
I am actively against anything ref support says after they became abusive on social media more than any player actually reported to there CFA as did a friend they abused too.

For context I believe there’s been recent scandal in Turkey over corruption by referees so a lot of fans there will be sceptical a few bad apples spoiled it.

Interesting that Peter Walton makes a direct correlation of this incident to behaviour by EPL managers

Peter Walton believes such an attack ‘could have just as easily happened over here’ due to a growing lack of respect for officials, pointing the finger specifically at Klopp and Arteta.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/othe...E&cvid=5aefedc802a947eb9f09185204a04096&ei=31
Think that is a bit of a stretch to be fair. Not saying their behaviour is good and it should be punished, but I can't see how those idiots thought that it was OK to punch and kick the referee because of what Klopp and Arteta have gotten away with.

I do agree about the pointlessness of fines and touchline bans for managers though. When a player gets a suspension they are unable to influence the game in any way, yet a manager can just sit in the stand on the phone to his assistant and go in the changing room before the game and at half time, what kind of punishment is that? It needs to be a stadium ban, ideally with them not being allowed to have any contact with the technical area or changing room on the day, that I suspect would act as much more of a deterrent. Obviously them not having any contact is difficult to police, but even if they are having to watch at home on a stream it still impacts them way more than sitting in the stand.

I do agree about the pointlessness of fines and touchline bans for managers though. When a player gets a suspension they are unable to influence the game in any way, yet a manager can just sit in the stand on the phone to his assistant and go in the changing room before the game and at half time, what kind of punishment is that? It needs to be a stadium ban, ideally with them not being allowed to have any contact with the technical area or changing room on the day, that I suspect would act as much more of a deterrent. Obviously them not having any contact is difficult to police, but even if they are having to watch at home on a stream it still impacts them way more than sitting in the stand.
I think we should be more forward thinking in dealing with manager bans for abuse.

When their match kicks off, they have to go and referee a grassroots match - either a Saturday match between teams such as "Old and useless players" and "I am better then this standard" OR a Sunday match between "still pi$$ed from the night before" and "I am too old to play but pride won't let me retire".

Then they will be occupied during the match and lets see how difficult they find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back