A&H

Under 12 Red Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
Should I send them off if they ask how much I'm being paid by the opposition when the league rules states costs must be shared? :p

Not a card for me as I can manage it but obviously it's your game. I would advise not to go looking for trouble (you don't get paid any more for finding it).

I would be very wary of thinking along the terms of "how will they learn life skills". Thats not for us to decide or implement. Dont overthink it.
Thank you ! I wasn’t looking for trouble ( never do ) yiu are correct about the payment ! The lad caused he’s own trouble
And I think you are correct on the life skill tact lesson learnt

Technically incorrect as it would have the wrong number (but probably fine at many levels).
Yes. I was assuming grassroots, and very low level national league structure (step 5 and below if that means anything to you 😊) which is only where we use TDs here and whilst Comp rules mostly stipulate teamsheets and numbers, I think a temporary switch of numbers with ref informed would be permissible.

At under 12s I would just put him back in his box or speak to him like an adult, depends on context/tone

“Same as your coach is pal”, or
“I’m doing my best, if you speak like that again to me it’s a sin bin, let’s concentrate on playing the game”.

At under 12s I think part of football is actually learning to lose graciously, a skill the spoilt brats don’t have. But like many have said, you aren’t here to teach them life lessons, your here to ref the game.

If you look hard enough in a game you can find “dissent” everywhere, but like someone above said, why bother looking for trouble when you don’t get paid any extra. I often will close my ears to some throwaway comments if they are flippant and said from a distance, especially when theyre het up stroppy teenagers. Whereas if a player runs over to me to ‘share’ their opinion on my decision I will take an appropriate course of action.

credit for red carding a 12 year old tho, bet that went down like a fart in a lift😂

Yes. I was assuming grassroots, and very low level national league structure (step 5 and below if that means anything to you 😊) which is only where we use TDs here and whilst Comp rules mostly stipulate teamsheets and numbers, I think a temporary switch of numbers with ref informed would be permissible.
I mean, given that's typically the approach taken in the PL on the occasions an outfield player has to go in goal, I think it would be excessively pedantic to insist it's not an acceptable approach at our levels!

I think it’s a tough lesson for him to learn - but absolutely bang on the money. If he isn’t appropriately punished for it now, then he won’t learn…

I think it’s a tough lesson for him to learn - but absolutely bang on the money. If he isn’t appropriately punished for it now, then he won’t learn…

As footballing referees we are not punishers. Not life coaches nor moral guardian

the comments are flippant, not, foul, abusive, insulting, offensive, whatever this months key word is.

no more severe than, cummon ref your having a laugh

As footballing referees we are not punishers. Not life coaches nor moral guardian

the comments are flippant, not, foul, abusive, insulting, offensive, whatever this months key word is.

no more severe than, cummon ref your having a laugh
Afraid I do disagree with you here. Although it is flippant and yes a YC (SB) could have possibly sufficed, however, the player clearly didn't say it as a knee-jerk reactive comment, he had time to think about it and made the comment. If in the opinion of the referee that is offensive, insulting or abusive, then the referee has every right to dismiss them from the field of play. Irrespective of the age, the laws are the same. I would, however, make sure I explain to the player why it is a red card. It doesn't matter if they use the 'cheat' adjective, the meaning and intention of the comment is still the same. The player could have simply asked about decisions, instead of making an accusatory comment such as that.

Last edited:
You was well within your rights to send him off for offensive insulting or abusive language they can appeal it if they want. You have done your bit let the disiplinary committee decide. Dont know how much the deposit and hearing costs are these days last one i attended back in 2004 was 50 quid all together 25 quid deposit and 25 quid costs. But be prepared for it to get overturned i know what they will say because he didnt use an expletive aswell its not a sending off offence. But you could hit lucky and the committee do him. Its luck of the draw whos on the committee that day. Its a shame some premier league refs let players get away with swearing at match officals doesn't send a good example to the kids.

Afraid I do disagree with you here. Although it is flippant and yes a YC (SB) could have possibly sufficed, however, the player clearly didn't say it as a knee-jerk reactive comment, he had time to think about it and made the comment. If in the opinion of the referee that is offensive, insulting or abusive, then the referee has every right to dismiss them from the field of play. Irrespective of the age, the laws are the same. I would, however, make sure I explain to the player why it is a red card. It doesn't matter if they use the 'cheat' adjective, the meaning and intention of the comment is still the same. The player could have simply asked about decisions, instead of making an accusatory comment such as that.

As you rightly say, the laws apply to all ages, and you are perfrctly entitled to red card an adult for " how much are they paying you ref", if that offfends you.

as long as " two teams on the park ref", is also a red, as that implies favouring one team over the other too.....

so does " you are giving them everything"

all implying you are cheating.

or, maybe they are indeed just situations were we use our personality, if we can find it amongst the clouds

As you rightly say, the laws apply to all ages, and you are perfrctly entitled to red card an adult for " how much are they paying you ref", if that offfends you.

as long as " two teams on the park ref", is also a red, as that implies favouring one team over the other too.....

so does " you are giving them everything"

all implying you are cheating.

or, maybe they are indeed just situations were we use our personality, if we can find it amongst the clouds
Afraid I disagree with you. But that’s fine.

Afraid I disagree with you. But that’s fine.

so, you are sending off an adult for " you are giving them everything ref"

hopefully, because unless am missing something, it means the same as " how much are they paying you ref"

both imply bias, cheating, favouring one side over the other, questioning your integrity

so, you are sending off an adult for " you are giving them everything ref"

hopefully, because unless am missing something, it means the same as " how much are they paying you ref"

both imply bias, cheating, favouring one side over the other, questioning your integrity
Personally, I don't see all 3 statements you originally listed as the same. In fact, each one is less offensive to the previous.
If I was to give a red card for the first statement (which I may do), I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. The player thought it was okay to say such a thing, and let's be honest - it is never okay to say it. The problem is referees tolerate it. We shouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back