A&H

Wolves v Citee

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
Your honesty is admirable, and in your game, if thats what you see, then go with it

For me, he goes with head, on purpose
What happens next is not on purpose, its just where the cookie crumbles

Believe me, as much as strikers claim a pubic hair goal as theirs, they dont go attack a ball on a score by arm basis. Any contact with the ball, if indeed we deem it as such, is rarely on purpose

For me, his arm is where you would expect it to be at the time in question

1/. Public park, your not seeing anything amiss
2/ even with a dozen cameras you cant be sure its deliberate

Goal.

Your honesty is admirable, and in your game, if thats what you see, then go with it

For me, he goes with head, on purpose
What happens next is not on purpose, its just where the cookie crumbles

Believe me, as much as strikers claim a pubic hair goal as theirs, they dont go attack a ball on a score by arm basis. Any contact with the ball, if indeed we deem it as such, is rarely on purpose

For me, his arm is where you would expect it to be at the time in question

1/. Public park, your not seeing anything amiss
2/ even with a dozen cameras you cant be sure its deliberate

Goal.
All very fair points

IFAB/FIFA want this given
Old skool refs do not
If i had never discovered this forum (and the FIFA/IFAB crap on-line)
Where or when have the IFAB given any indication of their interpretation of handball (other than what is in the Laws of the Game)? There is a video of a FIFA-qualified refereeing instructor giving the same (or very similar) interpretations as those that seemed to be being used in the World Cup and I have seen claims that recent FIFA Futuro training also espouses the same interpretations - though I've not seen these more recent Futuro materials myself so I can't attest to their content. There are however no additional interpretations on handball available from the IFAB that I am aware of.

What IFAB materials are you referring to?

No way (for me) did he deliberately handle the ball no way BUT if i spot that im giving hand ball and disallowing the goal.

Hand on heart how many hand balls are given in a game when you actually believe that a player meant/tried to handle it.

I gave one on Saturday, player has the ball and it bounces up awkwardly, he never meant to handle it but it was still hand ball.

The problem with 'guidance' is that it is completely unrealistic and unreasonable to expect players/managers at all levels to be aware of it. For example, yesterday I had a strong appeal from reds captain for a penalty due to a perceived handball. The ball rolled and then bobbled up onto his hand, in no circumstances could this have been construed as deliberate, the ball was rolling! During the inevitable lengthy appeal and whinge it's great for me to tell him that the law is quite clear that it has to be deliberate handball and it can't be deliberate if the ball was rolling and then suddenly bobbled up. Even if the captain didn't know the law, I can tell him the law and tell him to check it out after the game and then we both move on. If I give the pen based on guidance from the IFAB then that's no so easy to explain when a player rightly comments that it wasn't a deliberate handball.

Obviously this isn't the primary issue but I'm trying to highlight how guidance is just over complication and only serves to increase confusion for all. Either change the law or remove any guidance. I'd much rather say to the players that I've got one wrong than using guidance to wriggle out of it. Not that you explain anything when you get one wrong, just cut the grass and act 100% certain :)

On a slightly different note, that friendly I reffed yesterday (Sheffield) ended 13-1 with a hat trick of pens. Losing side were playing their first ever match and picked the wrong team to play it against, it couldve been 20. They even bought me a pint afterwards which was surprising considering they'd conceeded 3 pens in the 1st half. I was expecting abuse to beer! The season is truly upon us.

Last edited:
No way (for me) did he deliberately handle the ball no way BUT if i spot that im giving hand ball and disallowing the goal.

Hand on heart how many hand balls are given in a game when you actually believe that a player meant/tried to handle it.

I gave one on Saturday, player has the ball and it bounces up awkwardly, he never meant to handle it but it was still hand ball.

Then you would be totally incorrect in Law and be guilty of inventing an offence.

I only ever give handballs when I believe it was a deliberate act (as per the LOTG), and therefore give very very few.
Not once has it ever caused me any undue issues with match control.

Stop refereeing to MOTD standards and start doing the job properly!

Last edited:
The problem with 'guidance' is that it is completely unrealistic and unreasonable to expect players/managers at all levels to be aware of it. For example, yesterday I had a strong appeal from reds captain for a penalty due to a perceived handball. The ball rolled and then bobbled up onto his hand, in no circumstances could this have been construed as deliberate, the ball was rolling! During the inevitable lengthy appeal and whinge it's great for me to tell him that the law is quite clear that it has to be deliberate handball and it can't be deliberate if the ball was rolling and then suddenly bobbled up. Even if the captain didn't know the law, I can tell him the law and tell him to check it out after the game and then we both move on. If I give the pen based on guidance from the IFAB then that's no so easy to explain when a player rightly comments that it wasn't a deliberate handball.

Obviously this isn't the primary issue but I'm trying to highlight how guidance is just over complication and only serves to increase confusion for all. Either change the law or remove any guidance. I'd much rather say to the players that I've got one wrong than using guidance to wriggle out of it. Not that you explain anything when you get one wrong, just cut the grass and act 100% certain :)

On a slightly different note, that friendly I reffed yesterday (Sheffield) ended 13-1 with a hat trick of pens. Losing side were playing their first ever match and picked the wrong team to play it against, it couldve been 20. They even bought me a pint afterwards which was surprising considering they'd conceeded 3 pens in the 1st half. I was expecting abuse to beer! The season is truly upon us.

The guidance is very simple and very clear.

It’s only referees that make it complicated by trying to find interpretations that aren’t there in order to give decisions that make players happy rather than the correct decisions.

The ball is going wide of the goal, it hits a players hand and goes into the goal.

Its simply not a goal.

Unless it’s a deliberate act.....you have no basis on which to disallow the goal.

Balls going wide of the goal, hits the referee and goes in.......goal or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back