A&H

Ipswich v Northampton

According to The Athletic, Drysdale has been removed from his assignment this weekend. No specific details were provided as part of the report.

The thing that gets me is if a player did something like this, there would eventually be no punishment. Either the referee wouldn't punish, or Ipswich would appeal and get the penalty overturned (which is why referees don't punish these in the first place). The lack of consistency is what gets me on things like this. Yes, Drysdale shouldn't have done what he did. He admitted as much. But when we see players treat referees in similar manners, nothing is done about it. I'll keep going back to the Aguero/Massey-Ellis incident. That was a far worse situation, with actual physical contact and an intent for the contact to impact the official's behavior. Yet Aguero was not punished in any way for what he did.

The Referee Store
According to The Athletic, Drysdale has been removed from his assignment this weekend. No specific details were provided as part of the report.

The thing that gets me is if a player did something like this, there would eventually be no punishment. Either the referee wouldn't punish, or Ipswich would appeal and get the penalty overturned (which is why referees don't punish these in the first place). The lack of consistency is what gets me on things like this. Yes, Drysdale shouldn't have done what he did. He admitted as much. But when we see players treat referees in similar manners, nothing is done about it. I'll keep going back to the Aguero/Massey-Ellis incident. That was a far worse situation, with actual physical contact and an intent for the contact to impact the official's behavior. Yet Aguero was not punished in any way for what he did.
Except in my opinion, as a referee we have an even greater expectation or responsibility to operate within the framework of the laws,.so I would expect that a referee might perhaps be subject to harsher punishment for rule breaches.

Introduce the sin bin to the pro game. Wouldn't that help us all at every level to reduce descent

No.

Professional refs don't punish dissent now, what makes you think they would if it made players (especially stars) sit out? If professional refs used the Laws that exist now to punish dissent it would change the dynamic all the way down.
I'm sure those at the higher levels on here may know the answer to this but is it true that Refs at the professional level of the game are discouraged from showing cards for dissent and foul/abusive language?

It's something that I've heard and repeated by others but whether it's true or not is another matter.

No.

Professional refs don't punish dissent now, what makes you think they would if it made players (especially stars) sit out? If professional refs used the Laws that exist now to punish dissent it would change the dynamic all the way down.
Punish descent at the top. Letting it go unpunished makes people think its acceptable at lower levels of the game. Its all about setting an example

I'm sure those at the higher levels on here may know the answer to this but is it true that Refs at the professional level of the game are discouraged from showing cards for dissent and foul/abusive language?

It's something that I've heard and repeated by others but whether it's true or not is another matter.
It would be confetti otherwise. Can't bin the 'star attractions'. The hoofers on park pitches need role models to copy when giving us a bashing

It's about expectations. We as referees are the service providers and the players/clubs are the clients. The community expects a much higher degree of professionalism from service providers.

For example the punishment/consequences for a rowdy retail shop assistant is much more severe than a rowdy customer.

The answer to this is to punish all offences of this type though, not to allow a referee also to get away with inappropriate behaviour. We are - and should be - held to a high professional standard. Players, especially at the higher levels, should also be expected to behave similarly.

The answer to this is to punish all offences of this type though, not to allow a referee also to get away with inappropriate behaviour. We are - and should be - held to a high professional standard. Players, especially at the higher levels, should also be expected to behave similarly.

I agree. My issue isn't with Drysdale being punished. My issue is with players NOT being punished for similar behavior. It's inconsistent and fosters the behavior we see in our grassroots games every weekend. Had Aguero been suspended for a game because of his "get over here so I can talk to you" confrontation with Massey-Ellis, I wouldn't have said anything about this punishment.

I want players punished for this type of behavior just like Drysdale was punished. But that doesn't align with the leagues wanting drama, entertainment value, and a ready-made villain for players and supporters to direct their ire.

It is a good article - then at the end, it just finishes with "Oh, and sin bins will magically solve the problem"...

To an extent I think they would. Playing a man down for 10 minutes is far more damaging at top levels than it is at grass roots, and there is clear evidence sin bins have made a difference. My experience is that they don't necessarily stop the idiots from being idiots automatically, but rather his team mates are more likely to get hold of him before the referee has to take action, whereas before sin bins they would only do this if he was already on a yellow and risking getting sent off. I can't see that it wouldn't be any different at the higher levels.

I think Max Rushden still plays in the SAL, so he is probably quite well placed to comment on this as he will have seen the difference that sin bins have made at that level.

To an extent I think they would. Playing a man down for 10 minutes is far more damaging at top levels than it is at grass roots, and there is clear evidence sin bins have made a difference. My experience is that they don't necessarily stop the idiots from being idiots automatically, but rather his team mates are more likely to get hold of him before the referee has to take action, whereas before sin bins they would only do this if he was already on a yellow and risking getting sent off. I can't see that it wouldn't be any different at the higher levels.

I think Max Rushden still plays in the SAL, so he is probably quite well placed to comment on this as he will have seen the difference that sin bins have made at that level.

But tools only make a difference if referees actually use them to punish dissent. I'm just not convinced that at the professional level the referees are going to be anymore likely to sin bin dissent than they are to caution it now--which is all but never.

To be honest I’m surprised it doesn’t happen more often.

maybe not at the top levels, but certainly at grassroots where referees have less to lose.

I know one referee who said that he once offered a player out after a game, but I suspect that he was just trying to show off.

But other than that I’ve never even heard a rumour about it happening

But tools only make a difference if referees actually use them to punish dissent. I'm just not convinced that at the professional level the referees are going to be anymore likely to sin bin dissent than they are to caution it now--which is all but never.

Agree, introduction of sin bins would have to come with a directive to actually punish acts of dissent.

Agree, introduction of sin bins would have to come with a directive to actually punish acts of dissent.
Maybe they'll be more likely to use a sin bin as it's 10 mins out rather than a yellow for dissent where they run the risk of having to send the player off for the remainder of the game

Not sure if anyone has seen this, but the FA have published the reason behind Darren Drysdale being suspended following his altercation with Alan Judge. I can't copy into here as I'd have to ban myself, but read bullet point 12 in terms of what Drysdale alleges Judge said to him to provoke the reaction, it really is shocking. This just backs up my long held view that referees are conditioned not to send off for OFFINABUS at top levels, but this public revelation really should constitute time for change. In no other job would you be expected to accept being abused like this, and it was only a matter of time before a referee "flipped".

It is also interesting that the report appears to be critical of the FA, the fact that they didn't ask Judge to attend or even give evidence and that they effectively immediately suspended Drysdale after the incident, meaning he won't serve a suspension as they have backdated it to the date of the game.

Not sure if anyone has seen this, but the FA have published the reason behind Darren Drysdale being suspended following his altercation with Alan Judge. I can't copy into here as I'd have to ban myself, but read bullet point 12 in terms of what Drysdale alleges Judge said to him to provoke the reaction, it really is shocking. This just backs up my long held view that referees are conditioned not to send off for OFFINABUS at top levels, but this public revelation really should constitute time for change. In no other job would you be expected to accept being abused like this, and it was only a matter of time before a referee "flipped".

It is also interesting that the report appears to be critical of the FA, the fact that they didn't ask Judge to attend or even give evidence and that they effectively immediately suspended Drysdale after the incident, meaning he won't serve a suspension as they have backdated it to the date of the game.
Why would you have to ban yourself for posting Information that is freely available in the public domain?

Back