A&H

Level 4 Observations/Merit Tables

The Referee Store
I attended the assessment day. What a fantastic set up Loughborough University have!
All I will say for now is that it was a very interesting day and a good experience to go through. I really hope they receive positive feedback all round and keep this going, because I can't see any down side to it (obviously other than the fact that ultimately some people will take a day out of their schedule, perhaps travel some distance and ultimately be unsuccessful, but we got well looked after regardless and unfortunately we all have to go through setbacks in life).

I attended the assessment day. What a fantastic set up Loughborough University have!
All I will say for now is that it was a very interesting day and a good experience to go through. I really hope they receive positive feedback all round and keep this going, because I can't see any down side to it (obviously other than the fact that ultimately some people will take a day out of their schedule, perhaps travel some distance and ultimately be unsuccessful, but we got well looked after regardless and unfortunately we all have to go through setbacks in life).
Unless prohibited by confidentiality, what did the day entail for a 4-3 ?

Unless prohibited by confidentiality, what did the day entail for a 4-3 ?
I'm not entirely sure whether I'd be prohibited by confidentiality or not, so to be safe, I'll let you know more when I'm comfortable that I won't be upsetting anyone!

So after my postponement on the 30th December I was meant to have a middle today with an observation (my first observation this season and my first middle since 12th November due to postponements).
Guess what?

So after my postponement on the 30th December I was meant to have a middle today with an observation (my first observation this season and my first middle since 12th November due to postponements).
Guess what?
Observer cried off? Knows something you don't ? 🤞

Well I guess it's no longer a secret! I was successful on the assessment day! From how low I felt when that game got postponed on the 30th December thinking it had ruled me out of contention, I feel delighted!
Congratulations. I was just coming to see if you'd got it as I had heard the letters (emails).were out.

I'm led to believe that for 4-3, 15 referees were 'automatically' promoted and then 34 were invited to one of the assessment days at which 50% of those in attendance were selected.

The assessment day started with a fitness test which knocked out a few, then we had a decision making under pressure exercise which combines some physical work with ultimately watching a clip on a screen and making a decision on 1 viewing.

Obviously a laws of the game test, then we had some 1 on 1 sessions, one being about what we would do in certain scenarios i.e. floodlight failure etc and one being a review of clips and what we have learned from them.

It's a great new way of doing things I believe, and also, we were informed of the outcome very quickly too, rather than being left waiting for a long period of time. Now I've just got to get appointed to a game that's actually on!

I'm led to believe that for 4-3, 15 referees were 'automatically' promoted and then 34 were invited to one of the assessment days at which 50% of those in attendance were selected.

The assessment day started with a fitness test which knocked out a few, then we had a decision making under pressure exercise which combines some physical work with ultimately watching a clip on a screen and making a decision on 1 viewing.

Obviously a laws of the game test, then we had some 1 on 1 sessions, one being about what we would do in certain scenarios i.e. floodlight failure etc and one being a review of clips and what we have learned from them.

It's a great new way of doing things I believe, and also, we were informed of the outcome very quickly too, rather than being left waiting for a long period of time. Now I've just got to get appointed to a game that's actually on!
At previous course (for what are now L3's), the LOTG test was not on the LOTG but on the league rules. So, always caught a few people out on the number of substitutes, reporting timescales, etc.

At previous course (for what are now L3's), the LOTG test was not on the LOTG but on the league rules. So, always caught a few people out on the number of substitutes, reporting timescales, etc.
Yes, I had that. You had to know the rules for each of the different contrib rules and FA competitions. How many subs allowed, minimum arrival time before the game, where each competition is on the order of precedence, etc, caught a lot of people out.

Back