A&H

NED v ARG

The Referee Store
Time for one of my favourite stories!

In a match I was refereeing once, a ball was played forward down the wing. Keeper comes sweeping out, gets to the ball first and taps it over the touchline around 30 yards out. Seeing that the opponents immediately start running towards the ball to take a quick throw and catch him out of goal, he then continued running towards the out-of-play ball and blasted it away into the next field. Easy yellow card for delaying the restart and he didn't object even slightly - but if that initial clearance had been the big blast into the next field, that's considered acceptable and he wouldn't have been sanctioned.

Point of the story? As referee, you have to use you judgement to try and see if you know why a player would do something. Blasting the ball into the bench because you're off balance and that's the only clearance you can make? Absolutely fine. Doing it when you're perfectly balanced, the whistle has already gone and you've also visibly lost your head? Count yourself lucky to only see yellow.

"Adopting an aggressive attitude" is by definition, a judgement on what the player is intending to do.

Adopting an aggressor attitude also isn’t in the LOTG. It’s a flavor of generic USB.
*shrug*

And? I've seen this point made a few times on here recently and I think it's in the same bracket as people who go "laws not rules" and think it means they can dismiss the other person.

This is a UK forum and UK(/English?) referees are required to sub-classify USB when they submit it. Which means knowing what is/isn't AAA is part of an English referee's job and it's important that we understand it in order to be able to properly submit cautions.

I do appreciate that isn't everyone's system, but particularly when a referee who tags themselves as "level 8" and so we are entitled to assume uses the English system is asking about how they should referee, it's absolutely correct and helpful to frame it in those terms. And let's be honest, even if it isn't codified specifically in other systems, it's still 100% what people expect to see cautions for - it not being listed and instead bundled under a general "showing lack of respect for the game" is a failing of IFAB and the LOTG, not the English caution code system (which I otherwise think is pretty rubbish!).

This is a UK forum and UK(/English?) referees are required to sub-classify USB when they submit it. Which means knowing what is/isn't AAA is part of an English referee's job and it's important that we understand it in order to be able to properly submit cautions.
Just English. We don’t need to here

Its an FA code for USB which is why you here is English talk about it a lot

I understand that fully-been around here a while and learned a lot!

And? I've seen this point made a few times on here recently and I think it's in the same bracket as people who go "laws not rules" and think it means they can dismiss the other person.
Totally not meant to be dismissive, and apologies if it came off that way. But AAA isn't informative about how anyone outside of England (including a WC ref) is going to analyze the action and doesn't advise on how to interpret the LOTG, as it isn't part of it. Though I wouldn't mind if it was--here I would simply treat it as undifferentiated USB. I do think that too many refs get hung up what is listed and ignore the fact that it is a list of examples. (Though in some cases, such as tactical fouls, I do think it is IFAB's attempt to constrain referee judgment in certain areas. Way back in the dark ages when I started, there weren't even examples given in Law IX or the Decisions of the International Board, which was the official guidance of the time. [The USSF Advice to Referees used to have additional examples of USB, but that was withdrawn years ago.])

(I do think the English classifications are a failure, as the LOTG also don't restrict USB cautions to the categories listed, but the system forces you to use one of those listed in the Laws or AAA. So while the addition of AAA makes perfect sense as a common reason, it fails to have a general USB category, which forces things into disrespect that may not really fit. Not that any one in England give two pence what I think about how they report!)

(I do think the English classifications are a failure, as the LOTG also don't restrict USB cautions to the categories listed, but the system forces you to use one of those listed in the Laws or AAA. So while the addition of AAA makes perfect sense as a common reason, it fails to have a general USB category, which forces things into disrespect that may not really fit. Not that any one in England give two pence what I think about how they report!)
We have UB for unspecified unsporting behaviour so we certainly aren't tied in to the list of other codes.

Back