A&H

NED v ARG

Not sure if anyone has seen it, but Emi Martinez (Argentina keeper) did a BEIN Sports interview after the game, where he very clearly accused the referee of deliberately cheating. If FIFA have any backbone they should be charging him and ending his tournament, it is absolutely disgraceful however poor the refereeing performance might have been.

They don't have the balls to do it. FIFA has always chosen money over principles. Why do you think it is being played where it is now? Or them shutting players up over human rights issues? 11 v 11 etc etc. I really wish someone challenges them over their monopoly of football so that they clean their act up. But I don't see that happening in my lifetime or if it does the second group being any better. The world has always been about money and power, and once they are in that position, everything else matters little.

The Referee Store
Hasn't really been talked about on here, but does anyone think that a Mass Confrontation is where VAR should get involved and be allowed to advise the referee to issue YC's as well as RC's?

Hasn't really been talked about on here, but does anyone think that a Mass Confrontation is where VAR should get involved and be allowed to advise the referee to issue YC's as well as RC's?
I'd be very surprised if it wasn't...
A lot of mass confrontations are just bluster. No one is actually doing anything but praying their mate holds them back so they look hard.

They don't have the balls to do it. FIFA has always chosen money over principles. Why do you think it is being played where it is now? Or them shutting players up over human rights issues? 11 v 11 etc etc. I really wish someone challenges them over their monopoly of football so that they clean their act up. But I don't see that happening in my lifetime or if it does the second group being any better. The world has always been about money and power, and once they are in that position, everything else matters little.
Have you watched the Netflix documentary on FIFA
I thought it offered balanced insight into the organisation. I agree that I can't see a way out of the status quo

Have you watched the Netflix documentary on FIFA
I thought it offered balanced insight into the organisation. I agree that I can't see a way out of the status quo
No I haven't but I will when I get a chance.

… well, I don’t think VAR helped on this mass con YCs… Virgil flattening an Argentine is now a meme… I have his shirt in my window… but to not get a YC for that, unbelievable…

… well, I don’t think VAR helped on this mass con YCs… Virgil flattening an Argentine is now a meme… I have his shirt in my window… but to not get a YC for that, unbelievable…
I thought he did get booked for that? The commentators on the UK feed initially thought a yellow flashed vaguely towards some Dutch players was for Ake but changed their mind about 5 minutes later and confirmed VVD had been booked. Possible that correction was wrong of course!

I don't mind flashing cards in general, but you have to make sure you're clear on who it's been flashed at. Poor card technique like this doesn't help the argument that it should be allowed at lower levels, but it doesn't have to be that vague!

I thought he did get booked for that? The commentators on the UK feed initially thought a yellow flashed vaguely towards some Dutch players was for Ake but changed their mind about 5 minutes later and confirmed VVD had been booked. Possible that correction was wrong of course!
Had a quick look at FIFA and neither Ake or VVD was cautioned according to them 😅

What would the YC for kicking the ball out at the NED bench be for? Delaying Restart? USB? Something else? What if the whistle did NOT blow before he kicked out. Does that change anything? Thanks.

it's quite clearly adopting an aggressive attitude, or quite simply I'd support a straight red for violent conduct

What would the YC for kicking the ball out at the NED bench be for? Delaying Restart? USB? Something else? What if the whistle did NOT blow before he kicked out. Does that change anything? Thanks.
Its a straight red for me to be honest.

But if you were to go yellow it's easily USB. Remember the USB codes the FA use are just for FA reporting and the list in the book is not a definitive list, they are examples of unsporting behaviour.

But if you were to go yellow it's easily USB. Remember the USB codes the FA use are just for FA reporting and the list in the book is not a definitive list, they are examples of unsporting behaviour.
Got it. Thanks!

Difficult to justify it having used excessive force or brutality when it hit an empty seat. Had it hit someone in there I would probably agree with you, but I think a referee going red there would get pilloried for it.

Difficult to justify it having used excessive force or brutality when it hit an empty seat. Had it hit someone in there I would probably agree with you, but I think a referee going red there would get pilloried for it.
The fact it hit an empty seat is irrelevant and pure luck. It easy to justify excessive force when a player deliberately kicks a ball with that level of power into an area where his opponents are seated.

If you throw an object towards someone with similar intent it's easily justifiable as red, kicking a ball you know is out of play is the in the same ballpark for me.

If that happens in my game I'm going red card and I think that would absolutely be the expected outcome.

And as a fully paid up member of the "any contact wit ball out of play is excessive" brigade I am surprised you are on the other side of the fence on this one.

Of course these matters are in the opinion of the referee and If you don't see it as excessive or brutal, that's your choice, but I think games at our level would descend into chaos it we didn't sanction this correctly. Arguably, this one did, but there were other aggravating points in the game as well so I can't single this one incident out as the cause for that, although it was from this point things took a real turn for the worse

The fact it hit an empty seat is irrelevant and pure luck. It easy to justify excessive force when a player deliberately kicks a ball with that level of power into an area where his opponents are seated.

If you throw an object towards someone with similar intent it's easily justifiable as red, kicking a ball you know is out of play is the in the same ballpark for me.

If that happens in my game I'm going red card and I think that would absolutely be the expected outcome.

And as a fully paid up member of the "any contact wit ball out of play is excessive" brigade I am surprised you are on the other side of the fence on this one.

Of course these matters are in the opinion of the referee and If you don't see it as excessive or brutal, that's your choice, but I think games at our level would descend into chaos it we didn't sanction this correctly. Arguably, this one did, but there were other aggravating points in the game as well so I can't single this one incident out as the cause for that, although it was from this point things took a real turn for the worse
I was talking more about in a WC quarter final, agree that at lower levels it could well cause a riot. I just don't think the referee would get supported by anyone in taking that ultimate sanction, not even sure he would have been supported in giving a second caution for it. The card count at this WC has been extremely low, and that can only really be down to a directive of some sort.

By only giving him one yellow, the referee is saying that either the original tackle or blasting the ball into the bench isn't worth a card. I find either of those decisions simply indefensible.

Got it. Thanks!
Another Question and I apologize if going astray but I'm just trying to use this incident to learn some of the subtleties of how similar situations could be handled.

What if he didn't blast the ball into the bench and just blasted it into the crowd nowhere near the bench? Still adopting an aggressive attitude? Dissent? What if the whistle had not blown yet and he blasted it at the bench? Does that change anything? My son is U16 and they were down by a goal late in the game. They were in the attacking third and and one of the defenders won the ball cleanly and cleared the ball like two fields over. Is that anything? Thank you.

My son is U16 and they were down by a goal late in the game. They were in the attacking third and and one of the defenders won the ball cleanly and cleared the ball like two fields over. Is that anything? Thank you.
Not for me, the balls in play. I'd deffo be adding the time on though

Back