A&H

Match 3 - Spain : Portugal

Getting very frustrated by Shearer et. al. saying that Pepe "made the most of it". That's 100% irrelevant to the question of if it's a foul or not - and that's a clear foul for me.

So if he hadnt of gone down holding the wrong part of his face, get up like a rocket up his backside when he saw danger you would still have given the foul?

Would have been outright scandal to disallow such a cracking goal.

The Referee Store
Shearer made a career out of flaying arms and elbows.... Never been a foul!! Costa out muscled him!

Give you a gold star ⭐️ if u can tell me who left one on Shearer leaving him with a scar on his lip for life.

I watched it but can’t remember the fellas name, Cup game big mixed race defender.

So if he hadnt of gone down holding the wrong part of his face, get up like a rocket up his backside when he saw danger you would still have given the foul?

Would have been outright scandal to disallow such a cracking goal.
Another irrelevant detail - stop thinking like a player!

It doesn't matter what the fouled player does after he's been fouled, that cannot invalidate the foul. Book Pepe for simulation or dissent or both if you like, the goal should still have been disallowed.

It’s simple for me we can’t agree on here if it’s a foul or not, VAR coudnt find enough to overturn it so GOAL stands.

It’s devided opinion so u can’t possibly overturn it.
Er, no.

Lol

The referee didn’t see it. You can easily see it on replay. It should have been reviewed and overturned,

But I think this is politics. When VAR goes back early in a move and finds an offence it is terrible entertainment and opens up the real can of worms - which is that football and the bean counters ”do not expect” 100% correct decisions. So fouls like this slip through imho of course;)

Give you a gold star ⭐️ if u can tell me who left one on Shearer leaving him with a scar on his lip for life.

I watched it but can’t remember the fellas name, Cup game big mixed race defender.

Cant recall but he did leather the daylights out of Neil Lennon

Justin Whittle!! :cool: October 26, 2005 Grimsby Town Carling Cup!! Any more stars on offer???

Last edited:
Er, no.

Lol

The referee didn’t see it. You can easily see it on replay. It should have been reviewed and overturned,

But I think this is politics. When VAR goes back early in a move and finds an offence it is terrible entertainment and opens up the real can of worms - which is that football and the bean counters ”do not expect” 100% correct decisions. So fouls like this slip through imho of course;)
Some think it's a foul, others don't. Not clear and obvious error = no review = no overturn.

Some think it's a foul, others don't. Not clear and obvious error = no review = no overturn.
No, Some think it’s a clear and obvious error.

If there’s no VAR we’d be saying ”ok the ref missed that, hard to see, goal, that’s football”. But with VAR it seems like no action is being justified on the grounds that making a decision is not so different from not making a decision so VAR can’t decide.

It is, but for me you be looking like a fool if you dont caution for the foul but you do for the dissent,..
I'm genuinely surprised to see an experienced ref saying that. It's a big moment in every young ref's development when they learn to separate any doubts over if a decision was right or not from what comments are acceptable.

Ronaldo's comments were unacceptable and should have resulted in yellow. The decision he was "giving feedback on" is irrelevant. An lo and behold, you saw the Spain right back get away with similar dissent a few seconds later, and because the ref had been weak the first time, all he felt empowered to do was point at the defender.....?

Am either booking the Spain foul and Ronaldo
Or neither.
Got to weigh up whats in front of u. Allowing a cynical foul to go without a card but carding a player for moaning about it is poor managment, no matter the technicalities of if being justified

Am either booking the Spain foul and Ronaldo
Or neither.
Got to weigh up whats in front of u. Allowing a cynical foul to go without a card but carding a player for moaning about it is poor managment, no matter the technicalities of if being justified
With all due respect that's complete rubbish, and a cowardly mentality I absolutely wouldn't have expected from you. Especially given we're talking about theoretically one of the top ref's in the world, we should be expecting better!

He's made a decision [that it's not a foul]. And he might be technically wrong, but once the decision's been given that's kind of irrelevant. Allowing a player to talk to you like that - and to then turn round and give you both barrels again having been already told not to - is not only very wrong, it's also massively damaging to his match control.

As I pointed out before, he then doesn't feel empowered to punish a further act of dissent from a Spain player, because he knows he's just dropped the ball with Portugal's star man. If I let those two acts of dissent slide on a Sunday morning, the players would pick up on it and I'd find myself under constant pressure for the rest of the match. Top level refereeing isn't just about foul recognition, and he's let himself down here IMO.

Back