A&H

Match 3 - Spain : Portugal

The Referee Store
A miniscule amount of contact to the neck/jaw area, and Pepe falls to the ground holding his eyes... cheats never prosper.
No attempy to play the ball by Costa who flails at the the defender with his arm making contact with the neck with enough force to knock him off balance. Pepe is a tw*** but surely it’s a foul ref?

Because that's not how the system works. The VAR recommends a review ONLY if they think a clear and obvious error occurred.
Surely if it's clear and obvious, he'll recommend overturning the decision. So there must logically be a lower threshold of evidence that means a second look is the correct advice?

Surely if it's clear and obvious, he'll recommend overturning the decision. So there must logically be a lower threshold of evidence that means a second look is the correct advice?

No. There is one threshold. Clear and obvious. So yes that means that almost all on field reviews should result in the decision being changed. Any lower threshold would result in too much VAR involvement that everyone was worried about.

Look. I think it's a foul. I would have been fine with that goal not counting. It appears FIFA has instructed its referees to hold a very high bar. As long as that bar is consistent for the entire tournament then I'm okay with it.

De Gea did the same in a recent friendly v Switzerland.

Staggering how one of the best in the business has done it twice in two weeks.

The penalty was 100% correct, struggling to see how that is even a debate.

I was expecting the Spain goal to be overruled, but perhaps they think that Pepe has made the absolute most of it.

Getting very frustrated by Shearer et. al. saying that Pepe "made the most of it". That's 100% irrelevant to the question of if it's a foul or not - and that's a clear foul for me.

Just seen the Costa theatrics..... no foul.... play on!!

It’s simple for me we can’t agree on here if it’s a foul or not, VAR coudnt find enough to overturn it so GOAL stands.

It’s devided opinion so u can’t possibly overturn it.

Portugal reigning euro champs, Ron just scored millions in the biggest club comp and won it.., yet not in the journos’ golden boot picks

Back