A&H

Promotion 17/18

But with the growing emphasis on fitness and 'looking the part', this might not be a good thing .... :rolleyes:

The referee Gillingham had against Charlton the other week was defintely rounded.

Had a good game in my opinion, missed a couple of things but other than i thought he was ok.

Of course my fellow supporters didnt agree with me...

The Referee Store
This might be a difference between different CFA's, but I believe that for 7-6, the matches only have to be 11-a-side OA. I believe pre-season does count.

Here in Hampshire we got told that pre season games count, if you've been officially appointed to them and they meet the requirements for your promotion level.

Example, if you are officially appointed to an U18 pre season game it would count as one of your 6 underage games for 7-6 and 6-5, but would not count for 5-4.

If a club calls you directly and asks you to do it, then you are not officially appointed and therefore it would never t count for any level.

Pre-season friendlies don't normally count, but pre-season sometimes competitions do. The match must be 11*11 and played under full LOTG, but it is better to get the 20 games in as proper matches rather than relying on friendlies to make up the number.

As zarathustra said we rely on spreadsheets, although so far this season this hasn't happened as it has been restricted to emailing fixtures as and when appointed. It works, although for the last couple of months our fixtures sec has taken to doing them weekly which doesn't help.

That is a problem.

Its hard to get an observer when you dont find out about Sundays match until Wednesday evening

My advice would be find a new league. I had this problem with my Sunday league and am now on one where I get the games 10 days in advance normally. Makes life a heck of alot easier with observations.

That's what ive done.

My Saturday league send a full months worth of fixtures out about a week or so before the end of the current month.

The womens league also do the same.

Well, had a strange phone call today from CFA. Apparently they have been on to phone with FA 3 times about a "change to criteria" for level 4 promotions. Change apparently being 10 games as an assistant referee (from 5) and by their count I had only done six. I told them I knew it was 10 but apparently this was the same for cheshire, lancashire and another, that they had the wrong criteria. So I have been asked to email our RDO with the games as an assistant I have done which is actually 13 by my records.
Anyone else had a similar call?

Well, had a strange phone call today from CFA. Apparently they have been on to phone with FA 3 times about a "change to criteria" for level 4 promotions. Change apparently being 10 games as an assistant referee (from 5) and by their count I had only done six. I told them I knew it was 10 but apparently this was the same for cheshire, lancashire and another, that they had the wrong criteria. So I have been asked to email our RDO with the games as an assistant I have done which is actually 13 by my records.
Anyone else had a similar call?
Yeah I had the same call James. 15 lines by my calculations for me. Was told we might here as soon as Monday now.

i haven't even signed up for next season and I'm already receiving texts for friendlies....

Last edited:
Decision letters must be imminent!!!

I had no trouble with lines or middles - about 30 of each. My knees are knackered as a result. Just need them to last through the fitness test then a rest til pre season.

Can't wait for next season

And in other promotion news...

I'm happy to be promoted to the Panel Select Assistant Referee list for next season. This means I'll be running the line on Conference National - exciting stuff!

I'm still in a Dual Role so will be continuing to referee on the contributory leagues as well.

I'm happy to be promoted to the Panel Select Assistant Referee list for next season. This means I'll be running the line on Conference National - exciting stuff!

I'm still in a Dual Role so will be continuing to referee on the contributory leagues as well.

Well done mate:smoke::smoke:... Well deserved, keep us posted

Well done

When do you have to make the decision about which route you are taking?

Congratulations!

I know this thread/post is a few months old but, when do I apply for promotion for the 2018/19 season?
Thanks.

Email your RDO. How they manage the promotion process will differ by county.
I'm not sure if there is an RDO to email but I know a person who I can text and he'll reply soon.
Thanks for the response ^

Back